free website stats program Starting Issue....kinda | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Issue....kinda

Ok so I bought a 2008 Sportster 1200 Custom with 7366 miles off another Marine here. He picked it up used at a HD dealer around here. All that's been done to the bike to my knowledge is the guy I bought it from pulled the baffles out of the exhaust.

Now here's my issue....well more of a question I guess. When I hit the starter button it cranks over once....pauses for a split second then cranks and fires up. Is it normal to have that little stumble?

Oh and just a little FYI....this is my first bike....EVER. Not used to working on things with engines this tiny....the trucks I work on have a Catapillar C7 and 24 tons of armor on them hehe.:D Look at the Google Images for MRAP an those are my toys at work.

Thanks for your service! Those are some serious pieces of equipment you work on. As for the stumble during start up I would suggest checking and cleaning all you battery connections, both ends of both cables, using some dialetric grease on the ends also. Next it would be good idea to load test the battery.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will swipe the load tester from work on Wednesday and a tube of grease and see how it works out.

Back