free website stats program Starting in gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting in gear

BOWHIKER

I was riding with a friend this week end and while we we at a stop sign he killed his dyna . Rather than putting it in nuetral to start it he left in in 1st gear to start it . It fired right back up but i didn't think it was good to do that . I didn't want to say anything to him until i knew for sure wether it was or was not ok to restart while in gear . I'd already told him when shutting down the bike to use the kill switch whitch he wasn't doing , he'd turn the key on to look at the speedo then shute it off so he was pressurising the efi without starting the engine then turning off the key . I don't want to sound like a know-it-all but i want to make sure he does things right .

You can start it in neutral or gear but starting it in gear leaves less room for error. This can be done on the newer bikes with the clutch interlock.

Thanks glider wasn't sure if i should say something or not , i will mention it would be safer for him to go to nuetral before starting , hopefully he won't do it vert often .

Thanks glider wasn't sure if i should say something or not , i will mention it would be safer for him to go to nuetral before starting , hopefully he won't do it vert often .

I found it to be a safety issue Also...

When you've Killed it, and you GOT to MOVE, I'll do it the quickest way and in gear some times is Necessary and LIFE SAVING!

signed....BUBBIE

I found it to be a safety issue Also...

When you've Killed it, and you GOT to MOVE, I'll do it the quickest way and in gear some times is Necessary and LIFE SAVING!

signed....BUBBIE

That i agree with .. that said it doesnt matter esp on the new ones i park mine in gear sometimes and when i got to leave start it that way

I'll start it in gear if it stalls. Normally I start in neutral, but pull the clutch in. It's supposed to be a bit less rotating weight for the starter to turn.

started in gear once when i was new to my 07, it was on a slight slant so it had nudge forward when i parked, the bike jumped forward when i tried starting it. scared me... never again unless i stall in traffic or sumtin
WAP.gif

If you need some ammo for any potential argument your buddy may give you, here's some. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches in their Basic Rider Course that you always start the bike with tranny in neutral and clutch lever pulled in (clutch disengaged.) My technique has evolved where I add either the foot or hand brake as well. This, of course, assumes a relaxed and controlled environment. Stalled at a green light with an 18 wheeler approaching from behind pretty much dictates that you squeeze the clutch and punch the starter! Bike should start just fine but I wouldn't make it a habit to do this.

i know our bikes wont start if the side stand is down but will if the clutch is pulled, never started 1 in gear unless the clutch is in and i have stalled as i always start in neutral

i didnt know they would start without the clutch, i just assumed it was like a car where u have to have clutch in to start. does anyone think if mine jumped forward with the clutch in while in first i need my clutch adjusted??
WAP.gif

i didnt know they would start without the clutch, i just assumed it was like a car where u have to have clutch in to start. does anyone think if mine jumped forward with the clutch in while in first i need my clutch adjusted??
WAP.gif

JD; Just to make sure, I just went out to my '07 FLHT and checked. In gear with the clutch out, nothing happens when the button is pressed. In gear with the clutch pulled in, it jerked a little then started. The bike has been sitting for a few days, so I think the jerk was "stiction" of the cold oil between the clutch plates. I know when it's warmed up, it doesn't jerk at all when started in gear. It starts in neutral with the clutch in or out.

Last edited:
Back