free website stats program starting help | Harley Davidson Forums

starting help

Pnrdrmmr

I just purchased a Sportster today, it is a 1993 frame and suspension and a 2000 evo 1200 motor. The guy I bought it from said he was on the freeway when it started acting funny, and thought that the diaphragm in the carb had a hole in it. We replaced the carb with a good one and got new sparkplugs for it. It is getting spark and slightly turning over, it will run for a few seconds then die, but it will blow out black smoke when it starts. I live in Utah and the guys at the HD shop said the jets were to big, I don't remember the size tho, so could it be that its running to rich to start? I'm not very savvy with engine work at the moment, so I don't really know what is wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay sounds good. But what is the enricher? and where is it located.. I'm not to savvy right now. But I can figure it out when pointed in the right direction. Thank you very much tho.

Here is a link to get you going on how to dissect the carb components and how they fit into the circuit at various throttle openings.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_ca...rb_models.html

Here is Glider's rough carb circuit chart

CVThrottlepositions1.gif

Here is an exploded view of the stock HD Kehein CV Carb:

cvbreakdownRPIC.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, the enricher/choke seems fine, moves nicely. The jetting on the original carb is 170/45. Should I go smaller on those or are they fine? I would run some treatment thru, but we can't get it to start at the moment.

Back