free website stats program starting cold Evo | Harley Davidson Forums

starting cold Evo

Turn on the fuel tap pull the choke knob fully out snap open the throttle 3 or 4 times (accelerator pump will shoot neat fuel down throat of carb) turn on main switch and press starter button
Bike should start after one or 2 cranks if not release starter button snap throttle open 2 or 3 times and try again
If bike starts and runs for a wee bit then stops repeat process till it runs
Once running at a steady idle back the choke knob in to get the slowest run speed
let bike warm up till heat can be felt on the rocker boxes (I put on jacket helmet sun glasses and gloves and mount bike during this time)
Back off choke knob to a good idle pull in clutch for 10 sec select first and ride slowly away
After about a mile push choke knob fully in after about 3 miles should be good to go
Evo engines are not fully tight till it is fully warmed up and everything has expanded to full size, premature hard acceleration can blow cylinder base gaskets
Once you get to know your bike you will have your own warm up procedure

Brian

The way I start my '91 Dyna when it is cold is as follows:

• Make sure tranny is in neutral
  • Turn on fuel flow at petcock
  • Pull out enricher handle all the way
  • Tighten up throttle locking star all the way and then back off until just free
  • Turn on ignition
  • Pull in the clutch handle
  • Press Start button to fire engine
  • Give engine a little throttle as necessary to keep it running between 1200-1500rpm
  • Slowly push enricher knob back in while compensating with throttle to keep engine running around 1200rpm
  • Lock the throttle with the locking star to keep the engine running at 1200rpm
  • Monitor the engine speed and adjust throttle as necessary to keep the rpm at 1200
  • Let the engine warm up until valve covers are nice and warm but touchable (about 3-5 minutes depending on air temp)
  • When the engine is warmed up, release the throttle locking star completely
  • Engine should continue idling at around 1000rpm
  • Ready to ride!!

Warming up the engine EVERY TIME is very important on the EVO engine. This will extend the life of the base gaskets if properly performed.

Cheers,

TQ

:D Brian has you covered here, that was my way with my Evos:s

All the above is good, I had to hold the enricher/choke knob out to begin with since it would move in slowly on its own. That was only long enough for it to smooth out.

All the above is good, I had to hold the enricher/choke knob out to begin with since it would move in slowly on its own. That was only long enough for it to smooth out.

You can tighten up the knurled plastic "nut" on the back of the bracket that holds the knob/cable. This is both the fastener and jam that increased friction on the cable and prevents it from retracting on its own.

Cheers,

TQ

You can tighten up the knurled plastic "nut" on the back of the bracket that holds the knob/cable. This is both the fastener and jam that increased friction on the cable and prevents it from retracting on its own.

Cheers,

TQ
Be careful not to tighten any more than enough to put drag on the enricher, the plastic will break:s

Back