free website stats program Starting clank noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting clank noise

dogdad

Went to start the 08 RK this morning after church.. Turned it on...hit the starter switch and cla-clank,,,did it 3 times w/out starting. First time this has happened. Another rider thought it might be the clutch needing adjustment. I had the 5000 mile tune up done and now have about 6600 miles on it . I'm wondering if I had the clutch handle pulled in all the way...........I'm pretty sure I did, but.... it was also in gear when starting it.
Any ideas on this bizarre happening?

The 96 motors do make a bang when the starter engages the clutch basket. Actually it's the compensator that is making the noise. See if you can replicate the noise again and what you were doing when it happened.

Thanks Glider ..it wasn't coming from the engine, but more of a noise like trying to shift w/out using the clutch. I have started it since a few times and it hasn't happened again. I might not have squeezed the clutch handle enough when it did happen,,,which I find hard to believe, but it's possible. I will bring it in To HD to let them look over it for me.

Possible the gear shift wasn't in the full neutral position from someone bumping it and upon starting the gears engaged.

Thanks Glider ..it wasn't coming from the engine, but more of a noise like trying to shift w/out using the clutch. I have started it since a few times and it hasn't happened again. I might not have squeezed the clutch handle enough when it did happen,,,which I find hard to believe, but it's possible. I will bring it in To HD to let them look over it for me.

IF squeezing the clutch:
If starter was turning over the engine AND SHIFTER wasn't in FULL neutral or a FULL GEAR,,,, TRANNY will grind,,, rubbing the cogs a little..

BUILT IN SAFETY
(clutch has to be PULLED or NEUTRAL light HAS to be ON or NO start)

If the starter wasn't turning over the engine,,, but grinding,
it probably could be the starter (bendix) drive not engaging properly..

""I might not have squeezed the clutch handle enough when it did happen""

? were you starting it in gear with clutch PULLED??
are you starting it without putting into neutral,,,
or NOT looking to see green "N" light is on?

I personally like starting engine in neutral with GREEN light SHOWING, UNLESS necessary*

*I will start mine in gear only when I need to like; IN GEAR and I killed the engine or on a hill.... I like seeing the GREEN okay light.. and enough time allowing red key to go OUT

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

JUST A THOUGHT

are you using HD SYN3 in the clutch chain case?

many have a DRAG on clutch when this IMPROPER oil is used...

Last edited by a moderator:
could be the starter drive(bendix) starting to go. A friend just had his go bad on his 08.
Personally, I always make sure I'm in neutral before I start...it's an old carry over habit from the kicker days...but I still feel it is a good practice.

Id be willing to be it was the comp they are noisey on the 08 i hear that out of mine every now and then but it starts

Bubbie has the right idea, don't start my bike in gear EVER...all you have to do is forget once and if you do not hold the clutch all the way there will be sufficient clutch oil sticking to the pack together to make bike lurch forward if you hit the start button too soon...especially if you do not have solid footing and still have bike with the side stand touching ground but not locked!...don't ask how I know...!:no Lets just say you do not hear the clank if it is followed by crash, boom, bang..."oouchh..."! Gotta close now cause you do not want to hear what was said afterwards!

Last edited:
It is the compensator that causes the starting problems . I upgraded mine and it took care of all my starting issues .

It is the compensator that causes the starting problems . I upgraded mine and it took care of all my starting issues .

millage wise how soon should one upgrade to stronger one or how long will stock compensater last guess or estimate tx tom

Back