free website stats program starting blows fuse | Harley Davidson Forums

starting blows fuse

Tuukka

Hi,

I have 2002 FXD and it has 13700 miles on it, I have driven 2300 of it. They are my first and only motorcycle miles ever. Everything has gone fine, I have had some questions and got great help from here.

Now came first bigger problem. I drove couple miles shut down engine tried to start after few minutes. It almost started and died. I tried second time total silence. I found out that fuse was blown. Changed the fuse it started okay, shut it down. Happend like first time almost started and died - burnt fuse. Changed fuse tried to start, heard little pop - blown fuse - did that 3 times. Pushed it running I drove home. Shut down. Started ok but kept helluva noise one to two seconds. I left bike home... Did not have courage to try again. Any ideas what could cause that and what I should do? :coffee

Tuukka

Check the green wire coming from the starter to the relay for a short.It's the small wire that plugs into the starter on the right side of the bike. Lemme know what ya find.

Hi, today I had time to check my bike. Didn't try to start before disalarmed TSSM, unplugged battery... Green wire connected to frame. I made new wiring. Started three times nicely. Collected all stuff. Went for a 10 mile ride . Came back and started... Guess what? Starter worked about half a second and died. I think fuse went again. Didn't have time to check but everything went as before. Damn, I'm gonna get me one beer.
What to do next? I pretty much want to check it myself and learn my bike. Save some money at the same time. Easiest way would be to take it to dealer but no thanks at least not yet.

:FINLAND

Physically check the wiring in the start circuit for abrasions or grounds. It has to be something along these lines.

Didn't find anything bike started and worked fine about ten times. Took it for a ride and... called tow truck. Bike is going to local dealer tomorrow morning. Let's see what they find.

Back