free website stats program Starters Same or not | Harley Davidson Forums

Starters Same or not

Hey Everyone,

I ride an 08 ultra glide 105th anniv model, and upgraded at purchase to the 110 motor. When I start the bike the starter seems to grind every 4th start, the dealer said the starter does not always mesh correctly and its a known problem, I always shut the bike off turn key back to off then try again and it starts right up. My question is this, do you think the starter which was for a 96 cubic in motor is a different model then what would normally come on the 110 motor if purchased with SE bike. I am considering purchasing a beefier starter, what are your thoughts on the above issue.

thanks for the insight.

Hey Everyone,

the dealer said the starter does not always mesh correctly and its a known problem,

Anytime a dealer says "they always do that" I find another dealer.
Just my 2 cents which is worth .075 cents adjusted for today's rate.:D

Could be a problem with the teeth on the starter drive or clutch hub, they don't all do that and if they do there's a problem. The stock HD starters are good, does the 110'' heads have compression releases?

I would go with one of the more powerful starters on the market for that big of engine. While your putting that in check all the teeth on all the gears. Might check alignment if that is an issue.

If your stock compensator was not upgraded when you went to 110", I'd suspect that as much as I would the starter. The '07-'08 stock compensators have been discussed at length here and on other forums. A thrashing/grinding sound when starting is a symptom. Some say it's just an internet problem,,, but it keeps coming up.

Could be a problem with the teeth on the starter drive or clutch hub, they don't all do that and if they do there's a problem. The stock HD starters are good, does the 110'' heads have compression releases?

#1 on this Chopper, it happened to me:s

Yes the 110 has combustion releases. Thanks to all for the insight, I will check with a different dealer, I have the extended warranty, so if it breaks at least I am covered.

Go along with Gasbag & Smitty...finding another dealer would be a good thing, as well as properly documenting the problem so the the 110 upgrade is covered...just in case. And as Chop said, probably a good idea to check for damaged teeth and such, cause it is NOT normal and they DO NOT "--all do it..."!:newsmile091:

Back