free website stats program Starter | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter

doublea

My starter is making a whining noise and wont engage, I tried to pull it out but couldnt get the shaft to disengage. I was told that I had to pull the primary cover to release the starter and Im not sure what all this entails and I'm wondering if possibly it is the solenoid. If so, can i rebuild the solenoid without pulling the starter??? If i have to pull the primary cover off to get the starter out, i dont know what all I need to do. Will this require to replace any gaskets or any other parts????? I have a 2001 Road King. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks:

I just went through all that myself last month. You will have to remove your primary cover to get the pinnion gear off. On the end off the pinnion shaft you will see a bolt and a flat washer with a tab on it. Straighten the tab and hold the pinnion gear from turning and unscrew the bolt. These parts will come out on the primary side. Then you can remove your starter. My problem was the starter clutch and it was doing the same thing you describe. You will most likley need a service manual to fix it.

thanks for the heads up, i've never pulled the primary cover don't know what to expect will i need to buy any gaskets or anything to replace it

Your going to probably need a primary cover gasket being a 2001, possibly a derby cover gasket when you refill the primary and a starter drive.(number 360 in this pic) and a service manual if you don't already have one. You may want to replace the starter oil seal in the primary when you have the starter out also.
Don't forget the primary oil.

#60 & #420 are the washer and bolt referenced above in reply #2 inside the primary.
HD1028031.gif

Last edited:
A half inch drill works for me.

Just kidding ... I'm on my 5ht beer.

There should be a bolt - Its the lowest one

or

Place an oil pan under the primary and slowly remove the primary cover.

Back