free website stats program starter will not turn over | Harley Davidson Forums

starter will not turn over

slowhandforu

I have a 03 road king,the batt.is fully charged but when i push button to start it just clicks,is this the starter or maybe sumthing else.

Does it click once or continually? When it clicks, do the lights go out? Could be bad or loose connections, could be bad solenoid, could be bad starter.

Start with the simple stuff. Remove the seat and thoroughly clean off both ends of both battery cables. Make sure there's NO corrosion in sight. See if that helps any.

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery, Even though the battery shows a full charge with a bed cell it won't hold, Check the battery [load test]

I have a 1995 Heritage that on a very rare occasion gives me a click and won't start. With it being very rare it is hard to pinpoint the exact problem. I have had it apart and cleaned the battery cables and done all the standard/basic electrical recommendations. Problem is you can't fix it if it isn't broke. Rather than toss a lot of parts at it I am waiting for it to break for good but my rescue solution is this....

Solenoid Housing Starter Button by Biker's Choice - 302192 - Cheap Cycle Parts

Biker's_Choice_Solenoid_Housing_Starter_Button_302192.jpg

This bypasses lots of wiring and the starter relay among other hard parts. Now when mine clicks on that rare occasion I reach down to the starter solenoid and push. It works for me. For the money it is a great solution until I get a hard problem that I can test and install the real fix.

I did the same as you Tank with my custom chopper that I built, intermittently I don't get anything more than a click when I hit the start button so I installed one of these until I get time time figure it out (after riding season). Great minds think alike!!!!!

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery, Even though the battery shows a full charge with a bed cell it won't hold, Check the battery [load test]

I agree with rhino 2 on getting the battery load tested, it may show proper volts with a meter but it sounds as if it pulls the voltage way down when load is applied. How old is the battery?

Back