starter will not turn over

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by slowhandforu, Aug 9, 2012.

1. slowhandforu

slowhandforu New Member

I have a 03 road king,the batt.is fully charged but when i push button to start it just clicks,is this the starter or maybe sumthing else.

2. doctor727

doctor727 Active Member

Does it click once or continually? When it clicks, do the lights go out? Could be bad or loose connections, could be bad solenoid, could be bad starter.

3. lordharold

lordharold Active Member

maybe a bad starter relay

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Start with the simple stuff. Remove the seat and thoroughly clean off both ends of both battery cables. Make sure there's NO corrosion in sight. See if that helps any.

5. rhino 2

rhino 2 Active Member

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery, Even though the battery shows a full charge with a bed cell it won't hold, Check the battery [load test]

6. 89stroker

89stroker Active Member

I did the same as you Tank with my custom chopper that I built, intermittently I don't get anything more than a click when I hit the start button so I installed one of these until I get time time figure it out (after riding season). Great minds think alike!!!!!

I agree with rhino 2 on getting the battery load tested, it may show proper volts with a meter but it sounds as if it pulls the voltage way down when load is applied. How old is the battery?