free website stats program Starter whirs intermittently | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter whirs intermittently

Read this from another HD rider who replaced his starter clutch

"You don't need to take off the primary, but do inspect all the parts associated with the starting procedure."

You will need the service manual for details to remove the seat, battery, oil tank, rear exhaust pipe, fender section behind tranny, coil w/ bracket, and finally get to the starter to remove it.

Once the starter is out, what you will find is the 115 dollar starter clutch gear basically lunched, causing it to spin freely without turning the engine over. You may want to replace the solenoid assembly 25 dollar kit as well. Replace it, reassemble everything and she should start just fine.

Hope you have some smooth jazz playing in the garage to keep you calm, as this procedure will take two to three hours.

Any additional tips before I dig in?

Seems to me like a lot more work than taking off the floorboard and primary cover and loosening the oil bag.JMHO

Gonna be a tricky thing to do without removing the primary cover. The jack shaft has a bolt running through that has to be removed.

Caper & Glider, you are both right, had to pick up tranny/chaincase lube, seal and primary cover gasket and will be completing the job this week...had other "honey dew" chores :newsmile092: to get done and did not get a round "TUIT" :newsmile053:

I find using the 6" ball end allen sockets make it a little easier to get at the starter mounting bolts, it is tight in there.

Back