Starter whirs intermittently

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by lzmj3s, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lzmj3s

lzmj3s Member

I recently bought a custom bike with Revtech motor. When I try to start the bike, the starter whirs first couple of starter button pushes then catches and starts. I disassembled starter to see that I had no bad gears or bearings. Everything looks good and starter works on bench but I don't know how to determine if the starter clutch is good. Manual just says "replace". How do I know if it is bad.:wall:wall

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Not too much can be done as far as testing the starter drive. Best to replace it with the problem you are having.

3. lzmj3s

lzmj3s Member

Replaced the starter clutch and bike starts every time. Cost--$71.00. THANKS!

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Way to go!:s

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Good to know, HD dealer had starter drive available separately, surprised in this day and age where everything comes complete or not at all...:coffee

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

If the dealer doesn't have them, Toyota does as well as some other manufacturers. :D

92-98 Toyota corolla/celica/camry

WAI PART DESCRIPTION

7. NEWHD74FAN

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Not too sure about the sporty with that drive. It's mainly for big twins.

9. NEWHD74FAN

Read this from another HD rider who replaced his starter clutch

"You don't need to take off the primary, but do inspect all the parts associated with the starting procedure."

You will need the service manual for details to remove the seat, battery, oil tank, rear exhaust pipe, fender section behind tranny, coil w/ bracket, and finally get to the starter to remove it.

Once the starter is out, what you will find is the 115 dollar starter clutch gear basically lunched, causing it to spin freely without turning the engine over. You may want to replace the solenoid assembly 25 dollar kit as well. Replace it, reassemble everything and she should start just fine.

Hope you have some smooth jazz playing in the garage to keep you calm, as this procedure will take two to three hours.

Any additional tips before I dig in?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  10. glider

glider Veteran Member

A few band aids handy? :D

It's pretty tight in there so just take your time and keep the manual handy just in case..