free website stats program Starter Troubles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Troubles

dolt; when reading the OP 1st. post I thought it to be a S&S 106 complete motor. They make Evo type motors to bolt into TC frames. There are also conversion plates to place TC motors in Shovel,Evo, and other frames. I may have miss read/understood his post though.
tourbox

The compression releases seem to be working. The cylinders and heads are S+S. The exhaust is Reinhart with a power commander.The rest seems to be stock parts. When the bike is warm it starts fine. When it's cold it starts hard and that's when the starter grinds after turning it over for a while. It does eventually start .Do I have a fuel issue? Thanks for your input.
Wayno.

dolt; when reading the OP 1st. post I thought it to be a S&S 106 complete motor. They make Evo type motors to bolt into TC frames. There are also conversion plates to place TC motors in Shovel,Evo, and other frames. I may have miss read/understood his post though.
tourbox

Perhaps I misunderstood the OP and the motor is a complete 106" S&S motor which is the only way you get 106" from an early TC88" motor without case work or crank replacement and makes sense.:oops: The OP now says that cylinders and heads are S&S but all other parts oare stock, so you could be spot on with your assumption; don't know. The OP says the compression releases "seem to be working" which doesn't help much. Some photos would help thought. ;)

Last edited:
The compression releases seem to be working. The cylinders and heads are S+S. The exhaust is Reinhart with a power commander.The rest seems to be stock parts. When the bike is warm it starts fine. When it's cold it starts hard and that's when the starter grinds after turning it over for a while. It does eventually start .Do I have a fuel issue? Thanks for your input. Wayno.

"Seem to be working" doesn't help; the releases are either working or not. Can you attach a couple of photos of the top end, particularly the rocker boxes?

Is the bike carbureted? How old is the battery? Check compression and post the results? There could be a fuel issue on cold start that is delaying fire up, putting a load on the battery causing the starter to lag. How old is the battery?

The problem presenting on cold start but starting OK on a hot start could indicate a fuel delivery issue but not knowing whether the compression releases are working is important and should be confirmed.

When I put my finger on the compression releases I felt them move down when I pressed the start button. The bike is fuel injected with a very good battery, and a power commander. The battery doesn't slow down, but when it doesn't start right away it will grind and disengage if I don't let off the start button. It will eventually start after 4-5 tries.

Attachments

• IMAG1422 crop.jpg
    IMAG1422 crop.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 5
Back