free website stats program Starter Troubles | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Troubles

wayno30

I have a 2003 Fatoy with a S+S 106" that seems to be chewing up the starter. Do I need a heavy duty starter in this. I picked it up used and don't know a lot of the history of this bike. Thanks, Wayno.

Have you checked your compression releases. I would think a S&S 106 would have them. Also you could check with S&S if the heavy duty starter is needed. If you are not familiar with the compression releases post back.
tourbox

Have you checked your compression releases. I would think a S&S 106 would have them. Also you could check with S&S if the heavy duty starter is needed. If you are not familiar with the compression releases post back.
tourbox
I should think it would have compression releases, although I don't know how to check them.
wayno

I assume the Rocker boxes are Evo Type. See the attached, the red area. The red area is a square hole on top of the rocker box. Put your finger in the hole,front & rear head.You should feel a rubber boot. If you press on it slightly you can feel the release mechanism. When the starter button is pushed you will feel the release move to activate. You test each one. They get there 12Vdc from the starter relay leg that goes to the starter solenoid.
tourbox

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks tourbox. I felt the front one but I can't reach the rear one because it's so close to the tank. I'll get someone with smaller hands to try and I'll let you know how I make out.

If you can't someone with smaller hands you can loosen the front tank mounts, remove rear bolt & rotate up. Place a 2x4 under rear of tank to free up both your hands. Did the front one seem to work.
tourbox

Not following why a 2003 softail would have Evo rocker boxes nor do I understand the S&S 106 kit upgrade to a TC88" motor; possible but would require case boring and/or crank replacement. It would help knowing if the 106 kit is a big bore kit, IAW, pistons and cylinders with OEM heads or a big bore kit with S&S heads? Knowing more about the motor configuration and compression being generated would help very much.

Compression releases on the early TC motors will be located in the cylinder head, near the spark plug location; can't miss them. There are other reasons why the starter is getting chewed up besides compression but that would certainly be the first place to look.;)

Back