free website stats program starter solenoid | Harley Davidson Forums

starter solenoid

I have a Wild West Vigalante with a 124 ci S&S motor. Just recently when I try to start the bike it just clicks. I have had the starter rebuilt so I think it is the solenoid. The 2 posts on the solenoid which look like copper. One of mine is loose and can move it around. The other one is firm and wont move. Does anyone think that that is the problem. Is there a way to jump past that to check.

Impatient, aren't we ? Two bumps in a four minutes :D

You can bypass the solenoid and go directly to the out terminal on the solenoid that goes into the starter case. It should crank doing that. The terminals on the solenoid shouldn't be loose. Possibly the connectors on the inside of the solenoid are burnt from cranking that big old iron you yours. This is a stock starter?

I would give the battery terminals a check for cleanliness and tightness before going any further.

thankyou! I wanted to go riding so I was impatient. The startes was just rebuilt last summer. I was guessing the solenoid as well.

Do I just run the positive battery cable to the other side of the solenoid? Do then try to push teh starter button? There is one cable on the other side of the solenoid. Should I remove that or just run the postive to it?

If you use one battery jumper cable, nothing has to be taken apart, just connect to the POS battery terminal and the other end touch on the starter side of the solenoid. Nothing more. It should crank with a nice big spark when you connect it without touching the start button if the starter is OK..

Back