free website stats program starter problems??? | Harley Davidson Forums

starter problems???

mrvito

92 fxst low miles 8k always starts right up, if it sits for a while i charge the battery and it starts right up ( after puking oil out the breather but thats another problem) so i go to start it last week low battery i charge it starts right up i go to start today fires up and then dies( typical) 3/4 choke 1 twist of grip, hit starter it fires up starts to warm up then dies, ok, hit the starter agin, click click click is all i get , sounds as if starter is engaging but not spinning, full fresh battery full charge, good clean connections?????

full fresh battery full charge,

A battery can be "fully charged" and yet have no capacity. The green lights on battery chargers only tell you if the charging voltage has peaked. How old is the battery.

You Must apply a load of 1/2 CCA (~150 amps) for 15 seconds and see if the voltage falls to 9.8 volts.

battery is 2-3 years old, brand new black and decker battery charger read out states battery ok? chargered to 14.5 volts? everything else on the bike works all lights horn,signals????? how can i load test the battery? could it just die all of a sudden like that?

Welcome MrVito, to the HDTimeline forum. while others will be here shortly...our go to electrical guy Hoop has you covered...your battery is likely toast, as it has "surface charge" from the charger, but no capacity. Note that if your battery is deeply discharged just once, the battery capacity will be degraded as the plate material and binders are stressed, subsequent deep discharges will only make the battery capacity even worse.

I'm with new on this. I put the maint. charger on mine every night and my batteries last about 5 years.

how can i load test the battery?

A "quick and dirty" test would be to have a voltmeter across the battery when the starter goes "click,,click". Not before or after but during the "click click click" of the starter.

If the voltage falls like a rock (below 10.0 volts) the battery is probably bad.

Back