free website stats program Starter problem, 1992 Softail H-Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter problem, 1992 Softail H-Classic

Crank

The starter runs fine when I push the start switch, but it does not engage.
All I can hear is the starter winding up to speed and a (very slight) rattling sound. Any suggestions?

Replace the starter drive, #136 in this diagram.

HD0544044.gif

If the bike is a 92 and has the origional starter then replace it.Glider is right to tell you to fix the diagnosed problem.Ive been there with starters on old softails..first its the jackshaft then its this, then its that.Starters dont last forever,if its due..replace the unit.

Well the good news is the starter clutch is...you guessed it about $100, but then while your in there, why not rebuild the solenoid...another $25...then you could rebuild the starter...i.e. clean and undercut the armature copper and mica insulators, (if after you test it on a "growler" to make sure no windings are shorted/open), and then the brushes and springs kit, another $25 or so...or replace the works for about $300...!

Given the choices and the age of the machine, I would go for brand new one...quite honestly you could also benefit that the new one has some updates to make it even more reliable (my sporty had 3 revision changes on the starter clutch, but the other parts remained unchanged and my Sporty is a 2004 (probably had the Rev B in it) so I went with the starter clutch replacement only.

I have a different question...
I am building a Deuce from parts and have no point of reference.

Part 180 above has a c-clip inside that is offset. Does the shallow side go to the inside or outside. Seems to go either way and the manual does not get into the detail I need.

Back