free website stats program Starter Pinion Gear hits Ring Gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Pinion Gear hits Ring Gear

johnfullington

I have a 95 Harley Electra Glide, a few years back I started having starter problems...A clicking noise would come from the starter when I hit the start button. I was in Sturgis and not wanting to spend much money on parts...bought a push button for my solenoid.
This has served me well over the years but recently decided to fix it once and for good.
I ordered a new starter, installed it and with the primary cover off...watch the pinion gear smack the ring gear again...doh! I went ahead and put the primary cover on and filled with oil.
It does work better now but I still have to hit the start button a few times.

A few things I have tried....

1. Installed new starter relay
2. Installed new Lithium Battery (400+ CCA)
3. Ran 10 gauge wire for starter circuit (This improved starting a lot)
4. Clean starter button and kill switch
5. Installed 113 with compression release (told my wife this would fix it)
6. New starter...

Thanking all in advance,

jf

Is there a pinion gear that the teeth are more apt to grab the ring gear?

In looking at Tucker Rocker(Bikers Choice) catalog you should have a 102 tooth ring gear on the clutch with a 10 tooth pinion gear. It can be converted to a 66 tooth and 9 tooth combo. It's on page 1014. Their web is
VIEWING TUCKER ROCKY PUBLICATION PAGES
The change back is supposed to help starting. I would lean more to a bad/dirty connection in the starter wiring between the start button to the solenoid though.
tourbox

Back