free website stats program Starter issues? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter issues?

Have a question I hope you guys might help with. I have an 07 Softail Deuce. When I start the bike it makes almost a grinding sound but it starts.

I was getting the rear tire and brakes replaced and when the service department heard it and they were saying that they had heard of a problem with some models and there may be a recall or kit to fix it. I didn't see any active recalls for my bike unfortunately. Does anyone know of an issue like this?

Some 07 models had ring gear problems, tho they never issued a recall notice Do you have a stock comp sprocket? They have been known to cause premature starter failure ( starter bang) if you will for lack of better wording

Some 07 models had ring gear problems, tho they never issued a recall notice Do you have a stock comp sprocket? They have been known to cause premature starter failure ( starter bang) if you will for lack of better wording

Everything is stock still.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I had the grinding issue when the engine was started at running temperature, and really rough when hot. A painful sound.

Always started well when cold.

I checked and tested all suggestions, but the grind persisted.

After the ice and snow came, I was told the starter is under-amped. Sounded practical, so I bit into the budget and bought a starter at, 0.2 amp over stock. I think that's a 6.2 or 6.4 amp.

I'll find out this spring.

Back