free website stats program Starter issues in '91 Sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter issues in '91 Sporty

TheJudge

I have a '91 Sporty 1200 XLH. Pretty much all stock. I recently noticed when I start the bike I sometimes notice either hesitation in the engine turning over, or just a nothing - no clicks, no start. All the time I have strong lights, so I assume the battery is ok.

Just this past week, I subjected my ride to two long very wet rides in heavy rain. It also sits outside (covered) instead of a garage. I did notice condensation in my rear light. Might I have condensation in the starter causing my problems, or is my starter starting to die?
WAP.gif

I sometimes notice either hesitation in the engine turning over, or just a nothing - no clicks, no start. All the time I have strong lights, so I assume the battery is ok.

Are you looking for just a list of the parts the problem can be in the order of "most likely" to "least likely" or did you want to take a meter along with the schematics and troubleshoot it down to the exact component or connection that is causing the malfunction?

You would need a service manual (not just schematics) in order to locate certain connectors and parts. (relay,circuit breaker,etc)

First off, never assume anything, always confirm it and move on to the next part.

Load test the battery but first remove and clean and reconnect the battery cables. Neg off first and on last. If that makes a difference you just found your problem. Remember there are two ends to each cable and either end can cause the problem if they aren't clean and well connected.

Get back to us with the results.

It is not un common for the battery cables to corrode internally so they look fine on the outside but are corroded on the inside and could be at a stage where they will carry sufficient current to operate the lights but not the starter
Bike living outside does not help this situation

Brian

I will check the battery this weekend. I let the bike sit a day, and today it started right up and ran much more smoothly. I will get back to you on the test and cable checks.

UPDATE: It took a while (son was home on leave), but I cleaned the contact at the battery and starter and repaired an exposed wire I found. Now it starts on the first press!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back