free website stats program Starter help | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter help

So I went for a ride on the softail the other day and all went well.After getting home I went to pull it in the garage and it wouldnt start.

Today I was able to get to it.After cleaning all the contacts,replacing the relay and swapping around the fuse I had power to the starter but still had no fire.

After getting everything ready to pull the starter I noticed the black plastic box that the green wire plugs into on top of the solenoid was loose.Wiggled it and she fired up.

So now Im thinking the internal connection on top of the solenoid needs to be repaired and dont even know if that possible.If I pull the starter, is there a way to correct this problem?Its an A/M high output starter.

I engauge the starter button and can here the relay click but no starter action.After slightly pressing on the green wire connection on top of the solenoid it fires right up.96 evo

On my 2009 that wire is a Push On fasten connector. The connector is probably spread and is no longer making good contact. Remove it and crimp a new connector on the end of the wire and you will probably be Good to Go. Your going to have to inspect it in order to see what exactly it needs. It can't be too hard to correct. Even if I had to open the connector box and solder on a pigtail lead out wire,,it would be better than buying a new starter or solenoid.

The hard part (finding what the problem is) you already solved.

I would check to see if it is the wire terminal on the end of the green wire or the terminal that it attaches to that is loose. You should be able to just squeeze the terminal to tighten it up a bit and then re plug it on to the terminal. The often have a clip that holds it on to the terminal that has to be released to remove the wire.

Its not the connection that seems to be the problem.I inspected both sides very closely.

starter-1.jpg

The plug itself seems to have worked its way loose.Seems to be an internal connection.Can this plug base be replaced?

I don't think your going to find a part number for it because life is just not that easy. Pull off the end cover on the solenoid and take a look inside. It is either a broken solder joint or something simple.

Worse comes to worse, solder on a wire pigtail to the wire Inside the solenoid. Just JB weld or silicone the wire in place. It won't go anywhere. Then just crimp a male connector to the pigtail, plug it into the bike wire and go. No biggie that I can see.

Who knows, maybe someone like J&P has those connectors for sale. Others may chime in but I have not seen them in any catalogs.

I doubt you'll find any repair parts other than from a starter re builder. HD wants to sell you a new starter for any fixes needed.

The end cover on the solenoid can be removed for better access to that area.

Thanks guys, I'll double check the wire connection but fear its internal.Seems like I can move the base plug 3 degrees to the left and it starts,3degrees to the right and nothing.

but fear its internal..

It probably is internal. But that should not be a problem. If I remember correctly aren't you the paint & bodyman guy? Think of it as a parking light on a fender that was hit by a "drive by" and you have to make it work.!:p

Pull off the cover and take a look. We will get you going.

Back