free website stats program starter help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

starter help

Got the primary off. My question now is isn't the starter drive supposed to retract from the clutch gear. Mine right now with the battery unhooked and things taken apart and the starter drive is still engaged with the gear is how it is supposed to be? I don't think it is.

No, that is probably the problem.... If stuck and motor run that way for any time will ruin the clutch in the drive.... When you said Heavy Duty ring gear and starter drive were replaced before... Wonder if they were matched up with to start.. not one from here and one from there... was it a Matched Set?? they installed?

The clutch sprocket slides INTO the clutch ring gear and should Slide easily Back when ignition is released.... If it pulls it self back.... Tap it loose,, when you loosen it by hand Does it returns to normal position and is ready for the next start???
it probably is an alignment problem.... If it doesn't return it is the spring mechanism .... But I would replace all the shaft and gear as a New unit.. Even if you get old one to work freely.

Signed....BUBBIE

Just my guess...

The pinion gear should retract from the Ring gear.
That would tear up the 1 way clutch pretty quick which would result in just a spinning noise.

Sounds like you found your Problem.:p

Yes we think that is the problem. When we replaced the parts before we replaced as a set. My dad took it to his house and had a guy look at it today and said that there is too much play in the jack shaft. going to see about getting starter rebuilt. even when I pushed it back in by hand it seemed to catch and that would be why the gear is grinding down. Hopefully this will be the end of the starter problems.

Can you not rebuild the solenoid on that model? I also highly reccomend a gel battery. They have more juice and I have gotten much better action from both the bikes starters on which they are installed.

have gel battery and we are looking at getting it rebuilt. any ideas on how hard it is to get starter out? I am not very mechanical but my dad knows some very good mechanics. Just want it to be done and done right tired of messing with it and just want to ride

have gel battery and we are looking at getting it rebuilt. any ideas on how hard it is to get starter out? I am not very mechanical but my dad knows some very good mechanics. Just want it to be done and done right tired of messing with it and just want to ride

The starter is not difficult to remove. If you have a good auto electric shop in your area, they can do a rebuild on it. The starter and related parts are the same as used on some Toyota's.

Well we thought we had the problem solved. They tested battery and had a bad cell. Put in new battery and still getting the spinning. Any other advice would be appreciated. Tired of spending money and noy getting it fixed right
WAP.gif

Back