free website stats program starter grinding | Harley Davidson Forums

starter grinding

MASA

I have the 2008 Ultra & sometimes when i start it you can hear a grinding when start is engaged. it seems to be getting worse. what could be wrong?

Check the easy stuff first. Make sure the starter mounting bolts are tight. If that checks out, your bike should be under warranty, so I would take it to the Dealership and show them the problem (assuming it happens consistently), don't just tell them about it and have the service guy write it up. If you get a "they all do that" response, get the Service Manager and drag him out to hear the noise. If he says the same thing, find another Dealership and don't go back to the first one even for parts and stuff. Tell all your friends that have bikes about your negative experience.

The only way to improve the service and support side of this industry is to weed out the non-performers economically.

TQ

I have the same problem with my bike !! Dealer replaced the 1st starter around 15,000mi & the replacement starter is starting to have the same problems @ 19,000mi , I have over 21,000 on the bike now . It does not happen all the time & it seems that when you take the bike to the dealer to show them the problem it never happens . I am having the compensator upgrade put in as soon as the part come in & I am going to have the HD dealer do the install so the ring gear can be inspected . The Hd dealer only wants to replace the starter & they do not inspect the ring gear , but it would seem that if the starter is grinding when it is engaged that after awhile there would be damage to the ring gear . I will post the results on the ring gear issue when the bike gets done .

called the dealer where i bought my ultra & explained the problem. took it in the next day. he started it a few times & said that it was a normal sound with 32,300 miles on it. i said no it's not. you are not hearing the same thing i am. anyway he did tests with it and found that the starter was bad. they replaced it with no problem under warranty. now i hope it lasts more than another 32K or more.

Back