free website stats program Starter Grind | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Grind

ATROX88

Account Removed
I have an 07 FLHT 96" and already had the starter drive and clutch
replaced at 12,000. There was a problem with the starter drive engagement
and it wrung the teeth off the drive and ruined the clutch housing also.
Well, at almost 20,000 miles its starting again. I wasn't happy with the repair the last time. When I changed my primary fluid after that repair teeth were coming out with the fluid. Anyway, does anyone have an idea what the real problem may be with this? Is it just rubbish starters, an alignment problem or what?

Thanks

Original owner or not?

Any other repairs done other than the last starter?

Primary cover ever changed?

Proper starter and drive used the last time for the bike and not substituting the new for the same part number as the old starter?

Original owner. except for services, there has been no other work on the bike.
Original primary cover. As far as I know they replaced the drive and clutch with
oem stuff. If the problem is the H-D starter I would be willing to go aftermarket
to solve the problem. Maybe some king of alignment problem?

Double check that there is a bushing in the primary cover that supports the outside end of the pinion gear. If it is not there, or is badly wallowed out, I can see the pinion and driven gear on the clutch housing getting some serious loading.

TQ

I just had my starter replaced , it was covered by the warranty , bike had little over 16,000 miles . I tried to upgrade to the heavy duty starter but the dealer would have to order it so they just put in OEM starter .

I just had my starter replaced , it was covered by the warranty , bike had little over 16,000 miles . I tried to upgrade to the heavy duty starter but the dealer would have to order it so they just put in OEM starter .

I wish they would have replaced the starter instead of just the drive.
It was done under warranty so I am guessing replacing the drive was the cheaper alternative to a starter considering they had to replace the clutch housing also. My concern is that there may be an underlying problem going
on here or are the factory starters just junk as the parts guy at the dealer told me. If that be the case I will buy an aftermarket starter and install it IF it
will fix the problem. The first time I had the problem two dealers said they couldn't duplicate the problem so I let it get worse until there was no doubt about there being a problem. I really am not interested in doing that again.

When my starter started giving me problems I took bike to dealer & they could not get the starter to act up . Then one day the starter was acting up & I went straight to the dealer & had the service man listen to it & then they agreed that something was wrong & replaced it . The stock starter is 1.2KV , HD heavy duty starter is 1.4KV & you can get aftermarket starters that are 1.5 or 1.6 KV & the aftermarket starters are resonable when it comes to price . The tech told me that there has been some problems with the starters .

Back