free website stats program starter freewheeling | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

starter freewheeling

This sounds like a problem I've posted about before. The compensating sprocket nut comes loose, gets the primary in a bind. Put the bike in gear, let out on the clutch and hit it......the bike moves.

fin

I didn't get-to-it today. but I think your right. the cluch or primary chain is problem ?

It was nice weather today and I had cows out this morning so the day turned into fencing.

Mabby tomorrow.

Will let ya'll know when I find out.

:panic

Well guys

Who Guessed ::::

Drum roll :::::

The drive sprock on the crankshaft is no longer conected to the crankshaft ?

There are 6 splines that are too small (crank) or too big (sprocket). There is a little bit of metal shavings in the bottom area. And one off the magnets is broke and loose , also an second magnet is loose.

What a mess!

Here is a Question : Is there a bushing (sposed to be) between the crank and the sprocket it drives ? Clue; there is fixing to be one there !
Maby the better question is does Harley make a bushing to fit between the crank and the sprocket it drives ?

All input is aprecated .

Well guys

Who Guessed ::::

Drum roll :::::

The drive sprock on the crankshaft is no longer conected to the crankshaft ?

There are 6 splines that are too small (crank) or too big (sprocket). There is a little bit of metal shavings in the bottom area. And one off the magnets is broke and loose , also an second magnet is loose.

What a mess!

Here is a Question : Is there a bushing (sposed to be) between the crank and the sprocket it drives ? Clue; there is fixing to be one there !
Maby the better question is does Harley make a bushing to fit between the crank and the sprocket it drives ?

All input is aprecated .

Sounds like your Alternator blew up, what year is this motor?

Jack

the item #15 (Sprocket) spins on the crankshaft becouse the teeth binding them are all but gone. Last summer the area developed a rattle while I was 300 miles from home. When I got home and checked it out the front sprocket was loose. I put lock-tite on it and torked it up 70+# . All was well till last Monday when it wouldn't start or push off. Well the sprocket spinning on the crank must have coused a magnet to get knocked off (starter speed only), but thats the least of the problems. I can JB Weld the magnet back in place probley better that original or ebay for $100.

I'm thinking Weld and Grind !%&*%^#! instead of a shim after thinking on it for a day.

And Breeze3at

Thanks for the picture I looked for a parts digram today but couldn't find one. Where did ya find it ?

Well

I started the Sportster today ....

Ended up with a shield built of metal flashing materal shielding everthing but the end of the crankshaft. Then building up the splines and cutting them back down with a dremel tool. Its as good as it was (maby better metal). I'd never heard of the splines wearing out befor , and I"ve had motorcycles for 39 of the last 40 years

It seem like a better set-up would be tapered splines or at least a fit of +-.002 then case hardened.

I'm disapointed in the engineering of the current set-up.

Back