free website stats program starter freewheeling | Harley Davidson Forums

starter freewheeling

MMRanch

OK here it is :
The starter will spin the transmission but not the motor ?

Anybody have any ideas

Haven't taken it apart yet. What to look for is the question.

:(

If the starter is just spinning and not engaging the fly wheel would i would suspect it's the Bendix spring.??

OK here it is :
The starter will spin the transmission but not the motor ?

Anybody have any ideas

Haven't taken it apart yet. What to look for is the question.

:(

When you say the starter will spin the trans, do you mean that if the bike is in gear and you press the start button the bike moves forward? The starter when working properly engauges a ring gear that is attached on the outside of the clutch basket. The Primary chain attaches the clutch to the compensator sprocket that is on the end of the motor crankshaft.

Thanks for the reply HDDON

yep in gear the starter moves the bike .

I wonder if the primary chain broke or primary gear came off. I'm going to take a look today.

I'll let ya know what I find !

Thanks for the reply HDDON

yep in gear the starter moves the bike .

I wonder if the primary chain broke or primary gear came off. I'm going to take a look today.

I'll let ya know what I find !

If the bike will move with it in gear the primary chain is not broken. Does the starter kick out when you try to start the bike? If so the drive is going bad

If the bike will move with it in gear the primary chain is not broken. Does the starter kick out when you try to start the bike? If so the drive is going bad

Jack; You sure? If the starter is spinning the clutch basket/main shaft, it would move the bike. If not turning the engine, the problem is with clutch or primary chain. Or am I confused again? :56:

Jack; You sure? If the starter is spinning the clutch basket/main shaft, it would move the bike. If not turning the engine, the problem is with clutch or primary chain. Or am I confused again? :56:

No you are not confused, after I reread this I read into the OP as the starter gear kicking out, OOPS

I think Jack was half asleep when he was reading earlier :p
I would think that primary chain has come loose or the compensator may have come loose
me thinks the starter and the ring gear are ok or the bike would not move

Brian

I think Jack was half asleep when he was reading earlier :p
I would think that primary chain has come loose or the compensator may have come loose
me thinks the starter and the ring gear are ok or the bike would not move

Brian

:p Late night last night, I am still sleepy, can I go home now:p

Back