free website stats program Starter dragging problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter dragging problem

bidred12

Having a problem with a 97 Harley Softail starting. When I press the start button the starter drags as if it is turning over the clutch very slow. I attempt starting several times and it finally starts. I replaced the battery with a higher amp battery new, replaced and added an extra ground cable. Just to make sure that the wiring from the start button was not the problem, I removed the wire from the starter solenoid and ran a 10 gauge wire from the positive side of the battery to the starter solenoid and I got the same results. The starter still dragged. Once the bike starts it runs great with no problems. The starter drags when the engine is cold or hot. Thanks
:bigsmiley19:

You added an extra ground but did nothing with the positive cable. It's time to replace that one, possibly using better quality cable then stock.

Had the same problem with my 97 Softtail, but it was related to starting not in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in. I went through (2) starter clutches before I realized that the dragging issue also puts a strain torque wise on the starter clutch assembly.
(The bike must be started in neutral)

The main positive cable is 4 gauge stranded copper and new. I am thinking the starter clutch. I rode the bike today around 150 miles and the only problem that I had was the starter dragging a couple of times.

Is it making any noise..louder than normal when dragging?
Before you go replacing the starter clutch, take a close look at the jackshaft assembly.

The jackshaft is installed according to the Harley manual. One of my friends is telling me that bolt that tightens down the jackshaft does not need to be completely tight. Is that true? It is tight with and locked down.

had the same problem with my springer, it was a 1.4kw starter with a field coil problem, replaced it with a 2.0kw. it will start a stroker motor so you can imagine the spin i get on a stock motor

Back