free website stats program starter concerns | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

starter concerns

yes i used the same drive on all three starters.i didnt think there was a problem with it.ive been fixing cars 20yrs.the bike thing is new to me.i have had the inner gear of the drive out.it looked ok.i could not remove the sleeve that it sits in because of the flywheel,can i just replace the gear it self,should i also replaced the small shaft that slips on the end of the starter too

I just have to know this:D....did you used the same starter drive on all of these starters?

I think he already answered that question by evasion:D

I leave no stone unturned! :D

yes i used the same drive on all three starters.i didnt think there was a problem with it.ive been fixing cars 20yrs.the bike thing is new to me.i have had the inner gear of the drive out.it looked ok.i could not remove the sleeve that it sits in because of the flywheel,can i just replace the gear it self,should i also replaced the small shaft that slips on the end of the starter too

The starter drive that contains the clutch is the culprit here and needs to be replaced. You really can't tell by examining them it they are OK. Once the torque of the starter is applied and it engages with the ring gear on the clutch basket, It's a complete different result.

Back