free website stats program starter concerns | Harley Davidson Forums

starter concerns

93hdss

i have a 93flt classic,80 cu.since the original starter =.all other starters have been a problem,the first starter replaced was from harley.that lasted 15 starts.they would not wp it.so i went after market,3rd starter was an upgrade.after a month when going to start my bike it just whines out like it is not engaging,after several attempts then it will engage.after awile i got sick of that.so i bought another one.after acouple of starts this one is doing the same thing.im getting sick of replaceing starters.maybe it is not the starter.i dont know.everything seems to check out,cables etc...has anyone had this situation,or have a remedy for my concern

When you replaced the starter, did you replace the starter drive too or just the starter motor?

i replaced the starter itselfif you are refering to the drive as in the piece that engages with the flywheel,no i didnt.both the gear and the flywheel look good.im wondering if i need a direct starter button on the starter?

if you are refering to the gear that connects to the flywheel,no i didnt change that.both fly wheel and gear look good.although i dont know if that will effect the engagment ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like your starter motors have never been your problem,your starter drive is not engaging. Before you replace it take it out clean it with solvents ,lube it and reinstall, sometimes a buildup of dirt and grease will cause it not to engage fully

that is whats happening i have to attempt to start several times.its worse when its cold.just whines out

ok thanks for the advise,when it gets alittle warmer out ill pull the primary cover again remove,clean or replace the drive,will i be able to remove with out pulling the flywheel and clutch assembly off ? i know the inner gear will come out but will the sleeve it slides into come out ?

I just have to know this:D....did you used the same starter drive on all of these starters?

Starter has to come out and the clutch can stay.

Back