free website stats program Starter Bendix | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Bendix

Charlies Harley

06 Heritage, starter will spin but bendix won't engadge every time, very intermittent. If it does act up, it is most often when its cold. I had the bendix replaced. That seemed to be the fix at first, but no, its still there. I dont know what throws the bendix in. Is the starter turning too slow or is there a solinoid that pokes the it in? I looked through the self help tips and only came up with the bendix replacement. Any other tips someone knows of would be greatly appreciated.

06 Heritage, starter will spin but bendix won't engadge every time, very intermittent. If it does act up, it is most often when its cold. I had the bendix replaced. That seemed to be the fix at first, but no, its still there. I dont know what throws the bendix in. Is the starter turning too slow or is there a solinoid that pokes the it in? I looked through the self help tips and only came up with the bendix replacement. Any other tips someone knows of would be greatly appreciated.

since you replaced the old bendix with a known good one - check both of the battery cables and any stranded copper wire going to or from - could have a few strands broke in half ????? also throw a meter on it and check out the ohms,volts & amps.

Thanks for your input, I will check wires and connections, battery voltage and starter draw. Are you thinking starter is running too slow? Thanks Lewis

Are you sure the the bendix is not being thrown. I am thinking the bendix is engaging with the ring gear but the armature pinion one way over-ride clutch is slipping. The Bendix would be thrown out, the starter would spin but the ring gear would not turn. You would think the bendex was not engaged with the ring gear..

It's a possibility

Thanks Hopple that sounds more like it, LarryC08 has a manual I can borrow to figure it out. The over running clutch is replaced as part of the starter not on its own, yes?

So obviosly its a seperate piece thanks Geezer. and everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is available all by itself [(5) rollers, retainer cage, & an idler gear make up the one way clutch).

The service manual is not real clear on it. The Parts manual shows it real well.

Sure. If you get a chance, post the results of what you found. It helps both myself and the next guy. :p

Back