free website stats program Starter, Battery, or Electrical Issue? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter, Battery, or Electrical Issue?

Triple1z

I have an 06 Street Bob and having crazy issues now. About two weeks ago, my check engine light and battery light came on. So I did the smart thing and bought a new battery. After installing the new battery, the check engine and battery light came back on. I diagnosed the bike and came up with a P0562 code. Obviously, according to the manual, if the battery voltage fails to meet normal operating parameters, a code is set.Code P0562 is displayed when battery voltage is less than 12.2 volts at idle and voltage does not increase when engine speed is greater than 2000 RPM. That explains why both lights come when I kick it into 3rd gear. And shuts off when I turn off the engine.Low voltage generally indicates a loose wire, corroded connections, battery and/or a charging system problem.So with all that being stated, is it safe to rule out a bad regulator or stator?Also could it be possible that there could be a faulty line somewhere in my wiring harness...honestly I have no idea what direction to go in...I know going to the dealer is the right thing to do, but before I go to them I want to know somewhat of the problem I may be dealing with....any help would be appreciated.Thanxs.:newsmile108:

re: Starter, Battery, or Electrical Issue?

I know you just replaced the battery, but remove both ends of both cables and wire brush them shiney. Then reinstall (neg off first, on last). Try that first. If that does not help, start checking your other grounds around the bike. If everything is tight, try this:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:

I agree with TQ. If the only code showing is P0562 more than likely you have a bad connection somewhere. I also would suggest using dialectric grease on the cable ends.

As for your statement "Low voltage generally indicates a loose wire, corroded connections, battery and/or a charging system problem.So with all that being stated, is it safe to rule out a bad regulator or stator?Also could it be possible that there could be a faulty line somewhere in my wiring harness". I think you will find a loose or corroded connection to be the cuplrit but I would not rule out a bad regulator/stator just yet though. If you did have a faulty line (other than a loose or corroded connection) quite possibly you would have another code(s) showing up.

As i read that whole statement (and/or a charging system problem) would tend to rule in the stator and the regulator as the charging system would consist of the rotor stator and regulator as well as all the bits of wire in between them and the battery
But get the simple out of the way and do the battery cables first

Brian

Wasn't 2006 Dyna the year for the bolted style magnet rotors that had the issues of coming loose.?

Verify your charging system is 3 phase. The stator plug should have 3 wires. Then measure the DC voltage across the battery at 2500 RPM. If low (it probably is) I would then check the A/C output of the 3 phase stator, 1 pair of wires at a time (total of 3 tests). You should now know where you stand.

Even if the A/C output was OK, I would check for loose bolts on the rotor.
I am pretty sure your year and model had the issue.

The 06 Dyans had the bolt together Stator. The replacement is welded. Mine did exactly as you discribed. I did not figure it out till I had replaced a battery and broke down on the side of the road. The bolts WILL back out and the rotor WILL shred the the wiring in the stator. The bike was 2 1/2 years old with about 20,000 miles on the clock. I did the work myself and called the MOCO they reimbursed me for parts and told me if I had taken it to the dealer they would have paid the whole bill. How many miles are on your bike? Has the stator been replaced?

Wasn't 2006 Dyna the year for the bolted style magnet rotors that had the issues of coming loose.?

Verify your charging system is 3 phase. The stator plug should have 3 wires. Then measure the DC voltage across the battery at 2500 RPM. If low (it probably is) I would then check the A/C output of the 3 phase stator, 1 pair of wires at a time (total of 3 tests). You should now know where you stand.

Even if the A/C output was OK, I would check for loose bolts on the rotor.
I am pretty sure your year and model had the issue.

This is the best advice I see, check for a fully charged battery also @ 12.7 volts first:s

Back