free website stats program Started to the West Coast | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Started to the West Coast

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Many of the rides that you have been on I have also been on the past. It makes me want to get on my bike and go now but I will have to settle for the great write ups like yours. If you have the chance while you are in Utah go visit Arches National Park in Moab and on your way west go through Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park. All of these parks are well worth it in my book.

Enjoy the ride and be safe.

Mike

Didn't have a computer yesterday, so this post will be for Monday and I'll post Tuesday tomorrow morning while we are waiting to get out bikes fixed. More about that tomorrow. Yesterday, we left Blanding, Utah on route 95 west to Hanksville were we go on route 24. It was a nice ride, the wind wasn't bad, so we arrived in Hanksville around noon, so we gased up and had a quick snack and got back on the road. We stopped at the National Bridge park and viewed the spectacular sites and wondered how they happened to be this way. Only God knows. We hit route 12 at Teasdale. My Wife and I drove this route in our car last year and she nicknamed this the "Wow highway". Around every turn in the road the views were breath taking. Going through Glen Canyon and Dixie National Forest was also great to ride through. If any on you are in this area, you have to check this out. Past the Anasazi State Park, we started climbing into the mountains to Boulder, through Calf Creek Rec area it kept getting colder and the wind had really started blowing again. On top of Escalante mountain, there is a section of road that runs along the very top of the mountain that is two lane with no guard rails. It was a straight drop off the mountain if you happened to drop off the berm. It was a rather scary ride with the wind whipping us all over the road. As I looked back at the other guys behind me, everyone was hugging the center line and staying as far from the edge as they could. After that, I think our nerves were shot, so when we got off the mountain in the town of Escalante, Utah. Miss you Nette! More tomorrow.

I too am enjoying this post. I'm surprise that there haven't been more along this line. This summer a friend and I are traveling from Upstate New York to the Black Hills in South Dakaota. We're taking secondary roads to enjoy the scenery of our country and maybe find some "booseburgers" along the way. It's so nice to be retired and not confined by time anymore. It takes as long as it takes. After reading this thread I think I'll take along a diary, can't see carting a computer along..then maybe I'll follow this idea with a story of my own. That is providing we have enough bail money with us...not to worry, we're old dogs now and much more refined.
Thanks Jaceddie for the story and the idea. Now I'm more anxious than ever to get out there and begin the adventure. Good luck and safe travel to you and your buds.

Well, after spending an hour typing our log for yesterday, the site wouldn't let me in and I lost it. Will try again later. Jack

I’m trying something different so maybe I’ll be able to save it before I try posting it. Jack

Well, I’ll try this again. We left Escalante, Utah on route 12 with the temps at around 40 degrees and with a 30% chance of rain. After only 20 minutes, the temps dropped and we ran into snow flurries, and then it really started coming down. We pulled into a gas station and waited it out. After about 40 minutes, we got back on the road. We have really have had lots of different weather, everything I think but hail. Since the road was warmer, it was wet and not icy. Being careful on the bridges, we rode on. Well, guess what, with 10 miles of Bryce’s canyon, it started hailing. Not very big and thank heavens it didn’t last very long and didn’t stay on the road but just a mile or so. More white knuckle riding. When we got to Bryce’s Canyon, it was still spitting snow, so we rode the free shuttle to the canyon. It stopped at different overlooks and it’s hard to believe the beauty of such a place. There was a sign at one of the overlooks about the owner that the canyon was named after. He was a Mormon and he answered a question as to what he thought about the canyon, and he said “ It’s a he__ of a place to lose a cow”. Getting back to the bikes, we rode on with it still spitting some snow and the temps in the upper 20’s, It was a very cold ride! I had on long johns pants, jeans, chaps and rain pants, long john top, another long john top, a long sleeve t-shirt, sweat shirt, leather jacket and my rain jacket. It wasn’t enough! We still had to stop every few miles to get the circulation back in our hands and feet. We then took route 89 south to Mount Carmel and then route 9 west into Zion National Park. We had talked about all the parks along this route, and I told them I thought this was the crown jewel of all of them. My Wife and I had taken this same route last year, so I’ve been here and knew they were in for a treat. Well, let’s just say they were awed. For those who have not visited Zion, this is one of those places that you never forget. The views are breath taking and beautiful. We stopped at the Visitors Center to shop and just hang around for a while. My bike had developed a noise in the drive belt and the plan was to stop at the Harley dealer in Washington, Utah. I didn’t get the belt adjusted right when I changed the rear tire before we left. With only the basic tools, it didn’t make sense to try it ourselves. Steve needed a new rear tire and Mike and Larry a front tire, so on the HD dealer. We ran into traffic and got split up from Larry and Steve, but knowing Larry had the Harley dealer in his GPS, I didn’t worry about them finding it. Mike, Paul and I continued on and got to the dealer at 5PM with them closing at 6PM. They took me right in and got my bike on a lift and started on it while they looked at Mike’s front tire. As I had mentioned before, on 2009’s, the front tires start cupping really bad around 6 to 8 thousand miles, and both Larry and Mike’s were in need of replacement, but the last dealer we stopped at in Pueblo didn’t have any of the newer 408f’s. About this time, Mike called Steve to find out where they were, and Steve said he had a flat on the rear. He said the heard a pop and thought he had a flat, but after pulling over and looking at it, it looked OK. Getting back on the road again and only going a mile or so, it went completely down and he had the ride of his life getting to the side of the road. I wouldn’t have wanted to be in his boots at that time. Both Steve and Larry has tons of experience riding on long trips, so they know what to have on board. Steve plugged a large hole with two plugs and pumped it up with a 12 volt compressor he had brought along. After stopping three times to put air back into the tire, they rolled in the lot on a completely flat tire. I’ve got to tell you, we were glad to see them. Now, about this service department at Zion Harley Davidson at Washington, Utah. They took up right in, arranged for a discount at a nearby hotel and promised all bikes would be finished by 10:30 this morning. They were replacing Larry’s and Mike’s front tires at no charge. What great service! We wish we had a service department like this at home. They had my bike finished before we left, and not only fixed, but washed sparkling clean. After 12 days on the road, riding in all kinds of weather, these bikes were very dirty. After breakfast this morning, Steve and Larry worked on Paul’s bike fixing a short in the right switch housing that caused his taillights to go out. After getting the bikes, the plan is to ride to Las Vegas. We are going to try and keep track of the mileage everyday, so Monday we rode 264 miles, and Tuesday only 177. This doesn’t sound like much, but with all the weather and such and stopping for all the attractions, this was a lot. We have totaled 2977 miles so far. This has not only been a trip of a life time, but it has also covered the full spectrum of riding weather, mechanical problem, etc. What a great trip!!!!! Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
what a great read..tx..can you imagine doing this in 1920 or so..ridding along in spirit..

Thanks for the post, very fun to read. Please do not say anything else about weather or problems you haven't had. LOL Ride Safe

Back