free website stats program Started to the West Coast | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Started to the West Coast

This must be a trip for life, just waiting to see the pictures.
I want to take a roadtrip like this once, until I have Europe to conquer.So I have a lot of time for planning. Threads like yours is like vitamins for me.:D

Will have to post two days travel today because our hotel yesterday had no computer access. We left Garden City, Kansas with the wind blowing up to 40 MPH and the temps in the low 40's. We took route 50 and stopped every 50 miles or so just to warm up and relax from gripping the bars so tight. Was not fun! The wind let up some around 11 am and from that point on, it wasn't bad at all. Really, on route 50, there isn't a lot to see but farm land and chicken and beef ranches. The first part of Colorado was really just more of the same for a while. When we started getting close to Pueblo, you could see the mountains with their snow capped peaks. It sure was a welcome site from all the flat land in Kansas. We stopped in Pueblo for Larry to get his oil changed and him and Mike to have their front tires looked at. Like all 09 UC, the tires start cupping around 8 k miles, and both of theirs are really cupped. The dealer was out of the new replacement tires, 408f, so we will stop at another dealer soon. I had mine changed at 11k miles with a 408f. I now have 11k more mile on it and the front tire still looks fine. To go back a bit, 4 of us, myself, Larry, Mike and Steve bought our bikes at the same time in 09, I just ride mine more than they do. After Pueblo, we rode south to Walsenburg where we spent the night. We got up this morning to the temps in the high 20's with frost. After dragging our feet for a couple of hours, we got on the road and headed west on route 160, which is a bike road out of the HOG atlas. We went as far as South Fork and then we turned north on 149. Route 160 was nice, but 149 was out of this world. We all agreed, and that's a rare thing indeed, that it was the very best ride any of us had ever been on. If any of you are ever in Colorado, you must take this ride. It was a cool ride because the temps never got out of the 50's and at the peaks it was cooler, but it was so worth the cold to see the beautiful scenery. From the views on top of the mountains, to the post card beauty of the valleys with the Rio Grande river running though them. UNREAL!!! I will come back here if I live long enough. After route 149, we went west on route 50 to Montrose, Colorado. Dont' know what we'll do tomorrow. We thought yesterday that we would keep going west into Utah, but after that ride today, we might stay and ride some more of the bike routes here. Will let you know. Jack

Jack, if you get a chance take the ride to Ouray, this is a nice little town. Then from there take the road to Durango and then on to Cortez and then back to Ridgway. Very nice rides. Have a safe trip.

Jack, if you get a chance take the ride to Ouray, this is a nice little town. Then from there take the road to Durango and then on to Cortez and then back to Ridgway. Very nice rides. Have a safe trip.

Thanks Firedog239. We'll look at those today. I think the guys were wanting to ride to Durango. We have only the HOG atlas to lead up, so info from people like you that have been here really helps. Thanks

Thanks firedog for your info and advice. We left Montrose this morning with the temps around 50. We took 550 south and then route 62 and finally route 145 into Cortez. Another great ride in the Colorado mountains. We stopped in Cortez for lunch at a neat little dinner along a beautiful stream. I think it was called the Bears Den Cafe. I can't remember anything anymore. I think it has something to do with the excesses of youth. :s After leaving Cortez, we took route 160 west into Arizona. Going into the dessert, the temp quickly climbed to about 90, with the wind blowing 40 MPH and sometimes it seemed to gust higher with blowing sand and grit. Another day of fighting the wind, but at least today the temps were better but we had the dust to contend with. We took route 191 north in Utah then 163 west, then 261 north. Now this is where it gets interesting. There was a sign saying that parts of this was unimproved with switchbacks and 10 % grade. Well,,,,, it was unimproved all right, it was graveled. That's right, gravel. We got this route out of the HOG atlas again, so we thought it would be OK. NOT!! They should put a warning about the graveled section. It was 3 miles of graveled switchbacks going straight up at a 10% grade and with the wind trying to blow us off the mountain. I just glad we were not coming down and having to get on the brakes in all the gravel. We made it though and nobody dropped their bikes. The grips were imprinted in all our hand though. We continued on 261 to route 95 east into Blanding, Utah where we are spending the night. It will probably take me a week to get all the dirt and grit washed off, but it was just another great adventure on our west coast trek. Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Glade you enjoyed the ride and also glade all of you got though the unimproved area safe. I'll keep following your trip though your post, enjoying everyone of them with my Hog atlas beside me. Have a safe trip.:)

Thanks for posting all this. I enjoy reading it and wishin I was with ya. I can tell you, I have rode most of the Rockies, and you will be hard pressed to find nicer riding than you did through Colorado. The only other place I liked as well, or maybe better, was through Montana in Glacier Park into Idaho. You have to make that a MUST DO as well. Trust me on that! Ride safe and keeo the scooter upright!:D

Paul, Steve, Larry, Mike and I appreciate all of you following our exploits and giving us tips on places to go. Thanks. This morning the temps are in the low 40's and is supposed to get to the low 60's with the ever present wind. Will try and let you know how the day went this evening. Jack

Back