free website stats program Started to the West Coast | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Started to the West Coast

Another beautiful day. Left Clarksville and took I-40 for a few miles to route 23 to Brashears and then route 16 west to Fayetteville Arkansas. Both of these routes are in the HOG atlas. This is still in the Ozarks. We just had to ride in the mountains one more time on the way out. As luck would have it, it was the best ride we had in the Ozarks. Lots of twisties and great views. Couldn't have ended our Ozark eventure any better. In Fayetteville, we took I-540 to route 71 north. This part of the trip was rather boring, running on the super slab. 71 north is a nice 4 lane, but after the rides we've had since Nashville, we were spoiled by great 2 lanes. We rode route 71 north to the town of Nevada and took route 54 west. A good 2 lane through farm country with a speed limit of 65, which was surprising. We arrived in Iola, Kansas around 4:30 and decided to stay here. Didn't quite make it to the place my friend wants to go, Fort Riley where he was stationed about 40 years ago, but we will get there tomorrow. In the morning we want to get started kind of early, but the way things have been, it will probably be around nine. The great thing about that is it doesn't matter. We have tried our best not to be pressured to get to any one place, and so far that has worked out. The last time we pressed on to get someplace, that was Nashville and we were stuck there for a couple of days because of all the rain. That was one of those things, that watch out for what you wish. So far though, it's been a super adventure. Can't hardly wait until tomorrow.

When you get to NM/CO area, I highly recommend going over La Manga Pass on Hwy 17. This takes you from Antonito, CO, one end of a great railroad ride, to Chama, NM, the other end of the RR ride. This goes a little over 10,000 feet, is a beautiful winding road with great scenery, and takes 2 to 3 hours, depending on how often you stop to smell the roses. If you are in the area, it is worth the time. However, watch the weather. I rode it last year in late June, went accross early in the morning, and saw 30 degree temps at the summit. Stop in Chama and have a late breakfast and warm up. Made a great morning ride.

In any case, it is hard to find bad roads in CO as long as you stay off the slab, and even I-70 going west from Denver is a beautiful ride.

When you get to NM/CO area, I highly recommend going over La Manga Pass on Hwy 17. This takes you from Antonito, CO, one end of a great railroad ride, to Chama, NM, the other end of the RR ride. This goes a little over 10,000 feet, is a beautiful winding road with great scenery, and takes 2 to 3 hours, depending on how often you stop to smell the roses. If you are in the area, it is worth the time. However, watch the weather. I rode it last year in late June, went accross early in the morning, and saw 30 degree temps at the summit. Stop in Chama and have a late breakfast and warm up. Made a great morning ride.

In any case, it is hard to find bad roads in CO as long as you stay off the slab, and even I-70 going west from Denver is a beautiful ride.

Thanks for the info Jake. We wondered what the higher elevations would be like this time of the year. My blood is kind of thin, so I don't care much for really cold weather. If we can, we'll make this ride. Thanks again.

I have to back up to yesterday, because I forgot to tell you all about one of those gems that you find on back roads. We were travelling on route 16 in the Ozarks when we came up to an intersection out in the middle of nowhere and there was a old general store/cafe. We stopped to get a cup of coffee when we noticed a sign advertising a "booseburger". No knowing if it was something you drink or eat, we asked. The lady told us that it was going to be the best hamburger we had ever eaten. Well, we took the challenge! Boy, was she ever right. The burger was great and they had homemade steak fries. If you ever find yourself at the Pig Trail bypass Country cafe, stop and get yourself a hooseburger.
Now for today. We had spent the night at Iola on route 54 in Kansas. Got a early, but cool start. We had planned on going to Fort Riley so Steve could see the changes made after 40 years and maybe find a friend or two that he knew in the Army. We checked the weather when we got up, and it didn't look good. There was a chance of sever weather, including high wind, hail and maybe an errant tornado. So, rather than take a chance, we headed west to El Dorado and took route 196 north over to I-135 to Newton. Then we took route 50 to Hutchinson where we got on route 61. We picked this route out of the HOG atlas, but it was rather disappointing. It was like route 54 with a lot of truck traffic which we hooked back up with at the end of route 61. That took us to Dodge City where we stopped to see the Boot Hill attraction and belly up to the bar. No, I had water! After refreshments, we hit the road on route 50 west to Garden City where we're spending the night. We had really sunny skies but a lot of wind. It was pushing us around pretty good, but with all the truck traffic going the opposite way and the wind, they would just about blow us off the road as they passed us. Tomorrow, it looks like a cold front is coming through tonight and it's suppose to be in the low 40's in the morning with a high of 63 with the wind blowing 25 to 35 MPH. A little cool to start, but great weather to ride when it's in the 60's. Will be in Colorado tomorrow, so I'm a little concerned about the low temps and high elevations together. Ah well, will have to wait and see. We have seen so much along the way, and one of the guys, or I think myself, that I will have to tell you in this post. But with the age thing coming into play, and by the time I get to the motel, eat and get cleaned up, I can't think of half the things I wanted to say. Just take this to heart though, if you ever get a chance to do this, go for it and you will see the sights we've seen and you will never regret it. More later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, at this rate, it'll be winter before we see you riding around here. But don't worry, you can ride here all winter...

Actually what you describe sounds like a ball. Please be safe and stay vigilant.

Got up this morning to 40 MPH winds and 40 degrees. Wind is suppose to moderate around 10am, so we going to wait a bit to get on the road. Have plenty of gear for cold weather, but nothing to combat that wind. Will let you know how things went this evening.

I envy you Jaceddie. My riding buddies & I have been talking about doing something like this for the last couple of years. We would probably want to take the northern route thru Montana, Idaho, etc. Being able to get enough time off of work to have a relaxed ride like you guys, where you can stop & check the scenery without having to be pressed for time is the ideal situation.
Good Luck & Safe Riding. We're loving following you on your trip.

Back