free website stats program start with 1 cylinder, then the other | Harley Davidson Forums

start with 1 cylinder, then the other

fabrozor

Hi,
Since i reassembled the engine, the bike starts (cold) with one cylinder, then 5 or 10 seconds later, comes the other cylinder.
I think when the bike is warm, that doesn't happen.
I don't know if it's an ignition problem, or an electric problem.
Do you know where that could come from ?

ok i'm gonna take a look

i took a look.
I unplugged the spark plugs wire, also the wires from the coil.
I checked the wire (i think it was 5800 ohm, tester set on 20k and read 5.8)
I reassembled spark wire on coil and on spark plugs.
I started the bike.
... same thing.
Front cylinder works alone, ... 5 or 10 seconds later the rear starts to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would consider the plugs or plug wires as a possible source of the problem.

Or a possible intake leak or mis-adjusted valves. As the engine warms, it expands and may have a slight intake leak or slightly overadjusted valve on one cylinder and as the engine "grows" things get better. Not saying it is but you might want to check it out to be sure.

That makes sense.
I installed SE adjustable pushrods and set it up for the first time.
Maybe i shall do it again. + i find the valves noisy when i ride.
I'll try that also.

I remember when i first started the engine after reassembly, i heard a brief metalic sound. I hope a valve did not meet another metal thing like other valve or piston.

In fact before starting the bike, i put it in 5th gear, and i made it roll maybe 20 meters on its wheels.
I didn't hear sounds at this time.
I heard the metalic sound only after i started the engine.
So now i wonder if it's the valves that i heard because if they should meet with something, they would have met while the bike was rolling on its wheels.
Whell... maybe a bolth which broke, or a missplaced part that took its right place... i don't really know.

Anyway for now i must fix the one cylinder starting problem.

no because i ordered the pushrods with additional self made nuts from Ron.
I just re-made the pushrods adjustment today. Still did not checked if that fixed. I will know tomorrow.

i made a tour with the bike.
It less noisy but the starting problem is still there.

I also notice an error in the tachymeter diagnostic but i'm not sure if its related with the starting problem. The error number is P1004.
I took a look at the service manual but i'm don't anderstand what they mean.

Hi everybody,

I rode a lot, and there is no valve problem.
5 month later, the problem is still not fixed.

The bike is Electra Standard 2005 (ignition) with power commander, KN air filter, Kerker exhaust.

Spark have been changed.

Problem is at cold start, the front cylinder works alone, and the rear cylinder starts to run only approximatively 10 seconds later.

Do you have some ideas ?

Why not disconnect power commander and try to start with just the ecm plugged in and see what happens.......

Back