free website stats program start up noise | Harley Davidson Forums

start up noise

hargun2

I have a 02 Standard thats clacking on start up then the noise goes away after it's warmed up. I have removed and replaced the lifters and readjusted the pushrods, no change, sound like it's coming from the rocker box area of the front cylinder. Ideas?? P.S. it's carberated and when I let it idle down below 1000 rpms it really clacks...

Are the lifters pumping up , have you checked oil pressure and cleaned the overhead tappet screen?

have not checked the oil pressure or cleaned the tappet screen. Not really sure where to start with this issue since the noise is coming from the cylinder head area. How would I check if the lifters are pumping up at start up?

have not checked the oil pressure or cleaned the tappet screen. Not really sure where to start with this issue since the noise is coming from the cylinder head area. How would I check if the lifters are pumping up at start up?

Recheck the pushrod adjustment first, do it cold, could be the problem:s

Clean that tappet screen. You should do this at each oil change at least. If this is partially plugged, it limits the flow of oil to the lifters.

TQ

Clean that tappet screen. You should do this at each oil change at least. If this is partially plugged, it limits the flow of oil to the lifters.

TQ

The tappet screen is way too often over looked, cheap insurance to check and or replace it . It traps junk from plugging up the feed to the pushrods and getting oil to the top end:s

ok I will check that screen tonight. I put a set of SS push rods in and the installation instructions say to turn them out 2 1/2 turns with the cylinder at TDC. I read a few weeks ago on this forum that 32 threads per inch rods guys were recomendeing 4 to 4 1/2 turns from Zero back lash...??????

The tappet screen is way too often over looked, cheap insurance to check and or replace it . It traps junk from plugging up the feed to the pushrods and getting oil to the top end:s

I didn't know a 02 TC had a tappet screen.... What have I missed all these years?

signed....BUBBIE

Back