free website stats program start issues.....a simple solution? | Harley Davidson Forums

start issues.....a simple solution?

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 Street Bob that is having some starting issues.

When I try to start it the bike makes no sound/click/noise or any ignition attempt whatsoever. (It behaves exactly like it should when you dont have the key fob nearby)

Battery is strong and works the lights.....strong fuel pump charge

I've changed both batteries in the key fobs. Same issue.

Checked all the fuses and even replaced the relevant ones for good measure.

I haven't checked the spark plugs yet so I will do that, however it doesnt seem like a plug issue.

It may be a simple thing. Any other ideas? Would a bad starter relay just disappear altogether like this?
Thanks in advance! Great community:)

ps. the bike started fine when I put it away for the winter. Last time i started it was around Christmas time.

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 Street Bob that is having some starting issues.

When I try to start it the bike makes no sound/click/noise or any ignition attempt whatsoever. (It behaves exactly like it should when you dont have the key fob nearby)

Battery is strong and works the lights.....strong fuel pump charge

I've changed both batteries in the key fobs. Same issue.

Checked all the fuses and even replaced the relevant ones for good measure.

I haven't checked the spark plugs yet so I will do that, however it doesnt seem like a plug issue.

It may be a simple thing. Any other ideas? Would a bad starter relay just disappear altogether like this?
Thanks in advance! Great community:)

ps. the bike started fine when I put it away for the winter. Last time i started it was around Christmas time.

Marrying NEW TSM/TSSM To Bike (password relearn) - Harley Davidson Community also recheck the fob batteries new might not be good

It behaves exactly like it should when you dont have the key fob nearby

Meaning the flashers & siren (if equipped) start to go off.? If the bike has HandsFree Fob security, when the fob is not nearby, when you turn ON the ignition using the key, the 4 way flashers should blink and the siren should sound if the bike is equipped w/ one. Even without a Siren, the flashers should start to blink. Is that what is happening?

This is not meant to insult, it's happened several times. Is the right handlebar run/stop switch in "run" position?

This is not meant to insult, it's happened several times. Is the right handlebar run/stop switch in "run" position?

Yep, it happens................ Specially for those who aren't accustomed to using them.

Bodeen

Meaning the flashers & siren (if equipped) start to go off.? If the bike has HandsFree Fob security, when the fob is not nearby, when you turn ON the ignition using the key, the 4 way flashers should blink and the siren should sound if the bike is equipped w/ one. Even without a Siren, the flashers should start to blink. Is that what is happening?

The flashers do go off, but no siren. Aslo the run switch is on the ON posistion.

Havent tried the security overide yet.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

quick ?'s for ya --- have you checked both ends of each battery cable to make sure they are clean and tight, Have you had a batt-tender hooked to it,have you checked the volts,ohms,amps in all the necessary places??

The flashers do go off, but no siren.

That does make a big difference. To me that indicates it is not a "marriage" issue. For some reason the HFSM is just not recognizing EITHER fob. If it was a marriage issue, the bike would crank but would not start. The HFSM is inhibiting cranking because it does not see the fob.

Try the override procedure. Hopefully you know the code to enter. See what happens.

Also try placing the fob on the seat next to the HFSM antenna.

You have a Good bug!

Back