free website stats program Stand Sensor Problem can anybody help | Harley Davidson Forums

Stand Sensor Problem can anybody help

hkhajah

The 2008 Night Rod comes with the side stand sensor, so if the bikes is running and you put it on gear with the side stand down, the engine goes off. My problem is that as im riding the bike all the warning lights (engine,oil....etc) come on on the speedometer for a while and off, i also get a message saying, "Side Stand is down" and that stays on. If im stopped at a traffic light, the bike shuts off. It drove me crazy and i had to push it all the way home. Can anybody help me with this......?:dknow

It sounds like either a problem with the side stand switch or the harness itself. Have you gotten the bike wet recently like riding in the rain or a good washing that could have had some water infiltrate the side stand switch?

Not sure of the wiring on that bike but if you try disconnecting the side stand switch to see if it helps the situation. If the bike doesn't start after disconnecting it, then it's wired in as a safety and you may have to bypass the switch to test it instead of disconnecting it.

I tried to dissconect the sensor and the bike wouldnt start as you said. I had the bike at the Harley Garage and it drove them crazy. They call me and tell me its done, however when i take it and ride in traffic, as it gets hot.... the warning lights come on and off and the message "Side stand is Out" comes on and stays on. And the bike goes off

I do wash the bike but this is normal, everyone washes his bike. There is a stand and a sensor near the stand, but you say stand switch.
I had the power commander on the bike with the exhaust sensor inhibiters i then removed it and put the sensors back on...... could that have caused this ?? and would it get back to normal if i put it back on ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Sensor/switch, we're talking about the same thing.

If you get the message about the stand, I would say the problem is in that circuit. Just where in that circuit it is, I can't tell you from here. It has to be gone through from the sensor through the wiring to locate the source of the problem.
The bike is obviously shutting off from the interlock that the stand sensor provides so finding that problem will probably solve your other problems as well.

Thanks glider for the reply.
Is there a simple way just to cancel the sensor... because its really anoying and embarasing when it just stops at the traffic light. The 2007 models had no sensors, could it just be removed without engine not starting.

Difficult to say without a schematic. You may try jumping the sensor and give it a try but like the newer bikes with the clutch switch, jumping that switch to beat the interlock doesn't work.

Thanks glider for the reply.
Is there a simple way just to cancel the sensor... because its really anoying and embarasing when it just stops at the traffic light. The 2007 models had no sensors, could it just be removed without engine not starting.

Is the bike under warranty? I would try to work with it and dealer before doing mods...do yourself a favor, especially over the holidays and short part of the riding season...:small3d017:

I have checked it and made sure its clean.... but still its the shows side stand out. We even put apiece of metal taped to the sensor to disconect it but still as i drove it came on again, i guess now the problem is not there. The HD dealer mechanic is also confused, he says it comes of and on, if it was always on he would have figured out the problem where. I told them to change the Harness under the waranty and told them of your advice as it maybe a harness problem. So they might change that.

NEWHD... yes the bike is new and under warranty and i asked the HD mechanich to remove it. but still no use.

I have checked it and made sure its clean.... but still its the shows side stand out. We even put apiece of metal taped to the sensor to disconect it but still as i drove it came on again, i guess now the problem is not there. The HD dealer mechanic is also confused, he says it comes of and on, if it was always on he would have figured out the problem where. I told them to change the Harness under the waranty and told them of your advice as it maybe a harness problem. So they might change that.

NEWHD... yes the bike is new and under warranty and i asked the HD mechanich to remove it. but still no use.

For sure a Short in the harness then intermittent problems are the worst to track down

Like Glider said, without a schematic I can only guess that the switch/sensor connection is "ground" seeking, and from Hobbits post, which you checked is not a magnetic micro switch problem and "disconnecting the sensor wire kills the engine."

The only way to check it is to put the bike on a motorcycle jack...(Smitty has a lot of experience with a certain nice yellow Craftsman sold at Sears). Now with both wheels off the ground, run dynamic testing with bike in gear, side stand up and tapping around with a plastic headed mallet the side stand sensor areas and the harness, be aware because a running motorcycle in gear on a stand is not safe to be around unless you are extremely careful, knowing the wheels and drive belt are moving, you do not need to rev it to find the problem...the engine will die if you tap where the intermittant connection is! :newsmile053:

Back