free website stats program Stalls after non-use | Harley Davidson Forums

Stalls after non-use

DVILDWG

I have a problem that I was unable to find on this or other sites. My 2005 Fatboy will die after running a few minutes but only when cold and after sitting for over a day. If I drive it daily no problem. Died last year about 3 miles from my house for Sturgis and never did it again the entire trip. Every Monday morning now (if i haven't rode that weekend) it dies anywhere from 3-8 miles from home. Each time after it sits for a minute or two it will fire back up and run fine until it sits over 24 hours again. I'm leaning toward fuel pressure dropping too low after sitting but those threads don's seem to match my problem. Pump sounds fine and I have no hissing in tank etc. Never happens when engine is warmed up?

I am hoping one of the big brains out there can shed some light! I hate to spend $$$ at a dealer to get "no problem found". Does not give me an error code when this happens. Just dies like it ran out of gas and electrical seems to work fine (lights and stuff do not die). You all have some great comments!

Thanks...:bigsmiley22:

Fuel pressure should pressure up the same hot or cold as soon as you turn the ignition on. Possibility of a bad temp sensor on the rear of the front cylinder head.

At first I thought that it was tempature related also but that doesn't seem to matter. It runs fine at 30 degrees or 100 degrees as long as I use it daily. So it is like some pressure is bleeding off somewhere. It can sit for 24 hours and never show the problem but let it sit for 48 hours and it is most likely to happen (not always). It has never happened on a road trip (except the first day when I've left my house) at extreme temps for 2 weeks of riding.

Thanks for the input...

Back