free website stats program Stalled, now won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Stalled, now won't start

gilbertpsk

So, my bike stalled out - I didn't give it enough gas when I let up the clutch. Then, when I went to turn it back on, no power. So, I connected it to a portable charger for a while, to get the battery some power, then tried to start it, and it tried to turn over, but didn't. After it tried to turn over, the bike started a clicking sound until I let go of the start button.

Any ideas?

Remove the battery terminals and clean and reinstall them. (bad connection)

Take the neg off first and on last. If you have an alarm, turn on the ignition and pull the maxi fuse or it will get noisy there. Reverse when reinstalling.

Not sure on the dyna but it's usually near the fuse panel. Use a wire brush to clean the terminals, both mating surfaces on the battery and the cable end.

Look in your manual.

I cleaned the negative lead to the battery, plugged the trickle charger into a nearby outlet and let it charge for about 15 minutes. Disconnected the trickle charger and the bike then started right up.

Thanks for your help.

Here's my 2nd to cleaning of the terminals! Stopped for gas. Went to start the bike and it acted as tho the battery was going dead except the headlites did not dim. After a number of tries, bike finally turned over just fine! Thought maybe had starter issues. Next day was looking in the area of the starter as I made numerous attempts at starting, each time it started fine. Finally saw arching from the ground cable at the rear starter mounting bolt to the exh. support plate. Removed the cable and tried it again and it acted exactly as it had the nite before. Cleaned it all up and have no doubt problem is solved.:D

These beasts shake, rattle and hum (Hmmm. U2 around?). So periodically removing and cleaning the cable ends is prudent. And if your cables are getting a bit long in the tooth, peel back a bit of the insulation at the end and see if there is a bunch of corrosion salts there. If so, swap 'em out for new ones.

TQ

Back