free website stats program Stained hands from leather gloves | Harley Davidson Forums

Stained hands from leather gloves

Slowrider

Has anyone ever experianced black stains on their hands from the dye in leather gloves after getting caught in the rain or just plain sweat? The stains can be difficult to remove at times and take some serious scrubbing. Hoping that there is a leather treatment that can prevent this happening.

I've had that happen with black leather boots. It stained my socks pretty good, but not my feet. I stopped buying Cat boots and I didn't have that problem anymore.

The last 2 pairs of gauntlet gloves I've bought will stain my hands when I sweat. Never had a problem washing it off my hands though. I treat the outside of the gloves and my boots with mink oil so they never get soaked in the rain. I'm tempted to try putting some sort of talcum powder (such as baby powder) in the gloves to see if that'd help.

I've had my socks stained from sweating inside my work boots, but it's never concerned me as it comes off in the wash.

I had a pair of made in India gloves that would leave my hands black after a rain. I think that there is a couple of different tanning and dying processes and some are cheaper to do then others resulting in the dye leaching onto our hands. I just don't wear them anymore and I don't buy the $8.00 gloves at the flea markets anymore.
kemo

I had a pair of made in India gloves that would leave my hands black after a rain. I think that there is a couple of different tanning and dying processes and some are cheaper to do then others resulting in the dye leaching onto our hands. I just don't wear them anymore and I don't buy the $8.00 gloves at the flea markets anymore.
kemo

Agreed, bought cheap ones once and they would stain. I think it is the dying/tanning process.

Now I've got a pair from Held and one from Hein Gericke and they never stain not even when used in heavy rain.

Yup, had the same problem. Get something good with a liner it it and you won't have a problem. Stay away from cheap gloves.

kemo

Well, this may have identified the problem, I have a more expensive pair but they are not a comfortable as the less expensive pair.

The last 2 pairs of gauntlet gloves I've bought will stain my hands when I sweat. Never had a problem washing it off my hands though. I treat the outside of the gloves and my boots with mink oil so they never get soaked in the rain. I'm tempted to try putting some sort of talcum powder (such as baby powder) in the gloves to see if that'd help.

I've had my socks stained from sweating inside my work boots, but it's never concerned me as it comes off in the wash.

I also tried the mink oil on the outside, it does seem to slow the water from soaking into the leather.
I never considered using mink oil on the inside of the gloves because the gloves are not smooth on the inside like the outside.

I usually wear Black Gortex boots so I have not had a problem with them.

yup, just soaked them in hot water for awhile and no problem after that. I think that some manufacturing companies are going to water soluble dies for the green effect. It's kinda like latex instead of lacquer.

We see it in cowboy stuff pretty often. It's pretty normal because they soak the leather in a dye vat sometimes under pressure when they process it. We do some leather work and repair and it seems like the black dye is the worst. We use Hot water and glycerin saddle soap scrub and rinse. Then neats foot oil and let the oil sink in. Sometimes re oil the next day. Then after a couple of day's use the mink oil on the outside. And should help. Once the dye has setteled down it shouldn't be as much of a problem. I have used rubbing alcohol on stuff and then the above process, it sure doesn't come of your hands very easy so wear latex glove when doing it.

Back