Stage1 Air Filter Service

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by Bikergeek, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Bikergeek

Bikergeek Active Member

I purchased a used 2008 150th Anniversary FLSTC with 4600 miles and it appears to have the Stage 1 upgrade kit. The filter looks to be a K&N type filter and I want to know;

1. If it is a K&N filter
    2. Does it require the same cleaning and oiling like standard K&N filters.
    3. Where is the best place to get the K&N filter kit?

Your help and any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. Duane53

Duane53 Active Member

I have the screaming a/c and I use k&n cleaning kit from my local auto parts store.

3. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

pic of it as there were 2 different styles in 08

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Advanced Auto Parts carries them, I have found Harley to be cheaper on the cleaner kits:s

5. Bikergeek

Bikergeek Active Member

Since you asked for pics, I have included several. I spray painted the metal orange since it was showing some signs of rust and orange was the only color I had laying around.

I cleaned it the best I can and then painted it. But if you look closely at the macro pic of the wording on the air filter, it obviously is not a K&N filter. This filter is a "dry type filter element. Do not oil".

So, is this filter washable or just disposable?

Anyway I washed it and now I have it air drying installed on the bike sitting in the garage. No oil was used. I will see if the filter survives the washing when I am ready to roll.

Attached Files:

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

That looks to be the cleanable filter but it doesn't get any oil like the K&N as it suggests in the pic.

Generally if they were oiled at some point, they will have a red/brownish color to them.