free website stats program Stage One - Wear and Tear | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage One - Wear and Tear

unwwwired

I know a stage-one kit improves HP, Torque and sound, compared to stock. But what I'm wondering is:

- Will the engine run cooler (and feel cooler aboard) than stock?
- Will the new power efficiency affect the longevity and wear-and-tear of the engine, in the positive?

'09 Road King

Just take care of the motor and it should last a very long time. Thats what Im counting on for me.

cooler some anytime ya add fuel it will cool down .. as for wear out faster no that all controled by the right wrist and how good you do upkeep

Welcome to the forum unwwwired, my personal veiw is you are just increasing the Volumetric Efficiency (the engine breaths better) of the engine with a stage 1 allowing it to run the way it was designed to run, you're not stroking, camming or big boring it. It's stock, by putting more fuel to it, it will run a little cooler, there's a gain in power & torque that make riding two up less strain on the engine, especially in the mountains. Now if you start racing rice rockets from light to light, then yes. But that's you, not the stage one doing it. My view is the EPA put more wear and tear on your engine then a stage 1 never will. Plus it just makes the bike more fun, and that's what riding is all about, right?

Chop and the others have you covered regarding performance wear and tear..."under the hood so to speak? BUT the tangible differences are much more apparent: sounds better, looks better and "feels" better whether as a rider or onlooker, which is why we ride a Harley in the first place isn't it? :s

Enjoy the ride and be comfortable that if you did the basics of a Stage I...air filtration, fueling and exhaust mods to open it up from the stuffy EPA restricted limitations, you have not hurt longevity, but improved it, but the rest is up to you.:D

I know a stage-one kit improves HP, Torque and sound, compared to stock. But what I'm wondering is:

- Will the new power efficiency affect the longevity and wear-and-tear of the engine, in the positive?

'09 Road King

If you do a full Stage 1 including adding fuel to reduce how lean the engine runs, then yes, it should run cooler. You might also consider switching to a FULL synthetic engine oil.

If you cool the engine off a bit with a full Stage 1, you should help the engine. But the changes are fairly mild, and will probably not affect the "longevity and wear-and-tear of the engine" in any perceivable way.

TQ

'09 Road King
What is needed for a stage 1? Ihave a 2006 Street Glide .

What is needed for a stage 1? Ihave a 2006 Street Glide .
Welcome to the forum sharpee, all a stage 1 is, free breathing mufflers, free breathing air cleaner with a fueler or tuner to adjust the fuel mix so engine runs comfortably. You will usually see a 8 to 10 hp gain also. The self help section goes into more detail.

Back