free website stats program Stage one question | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage one question

gator508

Experienced Member
Is there a way to know if your bike has the stage one download on the ECM beside taking it to the HD dealer where they hook it up to the computer. I'm considering adding a VH fuelpak and there are different maps for stock and stage one.

Only way I know of is with a Digital Technician at the dealer. Someone else may chime in with another method :dknow

Why not just go with a Dobeck TFI ?.................just wondering.

I think the stage one download changes the Rev Limiter on the bike from 5500 RPM to 6200 RPM. i dont know of anything else other than hookin it up that would tell you.

I guess there are pipes and air cleaner on bike correct??? And you are not the original owner???? Contact local dealer for possibly when a down load is done on bike a sticker has been installed on ecm showing calibration update or posssibly running VIN on Harley data base will show a updated ECM calibration. BigAl has a great recomendation also..
GEN 4 Product Release - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

Only way I know of is with a Digital Technician at the dealer. Someone else may chime in with another method :dknow

Why not just go with a Dobeck TFI ?.................just wondering.

Thanks BigAl66

I want to extend my factory warranty and have been told by my local HD that
it may invalidate it. So the idea is to remove it if I have any nonrelated issues, the fuelpak is just a plug and play.

I guess there are pipes and air cleaner on bike correct??? And you are not the original owner???? Contact local dealer for possibly when a down load is done on bike a sticker has been installed on ecm showing calibration update or posssibly running VIN on Harley data base will show a updated ECM calibration. BigAl has a great recomendation also..
GEN 4 Product Release - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

Thanks dbmg!

It does have pipes and a hiflo a/c. I changed the a/c back to stock right after I bought it for fear of running too lean. The bike had a little over 1k on it when I bought it 4 years ago.

Thanks BigAl66

I want to extend my factory warranty and have been told by my local HD that
it may invalidate it. So the idea is to remove it if I have any nonrelated issues, the fuelpak is just a plug and play.

This pure non sense, in fact most dealers will tell you to add a fueler as the bikes are too lean, the burden of proof of engine damage would be on them and would have to be caused directly by the fuel pak you installed

Frankly, the Stage-1 download is a waste of money. The fuel is not greatly affected. The rev limit is raised, but I am dubious about the value in that, unless you will be racing. Adding fuel is best, notwithstanding a Stage-1 download.

As far as being told that a Dobeck tuner invalidates your warrantee, you have the Moss-Magnuson Act (available on the web to read, just Google it) to back you up. I would contact Dobeck, and tell them what you are being told and the name and phone number of the dealer is, in case they want to contact them to straighten them out.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Frankly, the Stage-1 download is a waste of money.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that I could retire a wealthy man! Ridiculous! I know at least two dozen people who are perfectly happy and satisfied with the dealer download. I've been told by numerous HD techs that for a simple stage one (airbox and slipons) the download is ALL you need. They also said high dollar tuners are a waste of money unless you're planning on further upgrades.
I have friends with touring bikes over 60,000 miles with just the download, and they all are running fine. Don't believe all the "you NEED a tuner" hype you read on the internet. My Road King Classic ran terrible with a Power Commander installed on it. After three different trips to the dyno and tuning adjustments, the tech finally told me to take the PC OFF my bike, and just go with the download. After doing just that, my bike ran GREAT again! He said that bypassing the 02 sensors, which tuners like the Power Commander does, is a BAD idea.

Back