free website stats program Stage One, Or Oil Cooler? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage One, Or Oil Cooler?

My take on this is do what you want. If the power, sound and heat are ok with you then don't touch it. There seems to be a large number of people who make modifications and then don't like how their bike runs after that. The bike pops, surges, has idling issues etc. HD spent a lot of money to get the qualities you like stock. Start changing parts and then you discover they are all related and problems pop up. This is what I would do, stage one with cat removal. Get a new set of pipes and modify them to remove the cats, that way you can go back if necessary. Add a TFI to add more fuel, add an oil cooler and use quality lubes. Owning a Harley doesn't need to be frustrating.

If our air cooled Twins are to be around much longer they will surely run hotter and leaner Thanks to the EPA , we can ride them stock and complain, or fatten the fuel up and as Hoople said run the risk of damage to the cat systems and that will Equal Big Bucks IMO

Hoople you made the statement that enriching Cat equiped bike will burn out and destroy the CAT. Does that mean you "must eliminate the CAT before installing a tuner on a CAT equiped bike?

I would like to know the answer to this question also.

I installed a TFI on my 2010 Ultra a month ago. It has never run better.
Now I need to know if I should have removed the cats???

Thanks,

Ron

Hoople you made the statement that enriching Cat equiped bike will burn out and destroy the CAT. Does that mean you "must eliminate the CAT before installing a tuner on a CAT equiped bike?

I installed a TFI on my 2010 Ultra a month ago. It has never run better.
Now I need to know if I should have removed the cats???

Thanks,

Ron
here is a good read that may answer a few questions

Attachments

• In-Depth Information for Motorcycle Owners on EPA New Emission Standards for Highway Motorcycles.pdf
    128.3 KB · Views: 8
Does that mean you "must eliminate the CAT before installing a tuner on a CAT equiped bike?

The entire purpose of having a catalytic converter is to convert (using a catalyst) the excess nasty CO (carbon monoxide) and HC (hydrocarbons) into something more friendly such as Co2 and H2o. During that process, a bunch of heat is generated.

When you richen up the mixture beyond the stoich point (perfect combustion ratio) you create an abundance of CO & HC. The Cat now goes into a flooded or a saturated condition. It wouldn't be too bad if you were stoich most of the time,, like during cruise. But eliminate the O2 sensors or go wide band and chances are your no longer stoich at ANY time. The Cat now is working 24X7 trying to get rid of the constant excessive stream of CO & HC. Granted a miss-fire is a ton of unburned fuel, but I have seen Cats glow caused from a miss-fire on a cage. (1 cylinder out of 6 dumping raw fuel)

Based on what the warranty is on a Cat from the Moco (only 18,000 miles), that alone tells me the factory Cat is having a hard time with a STOCK bike with a stock A/F ratio,,,let alone a ratio that has been modified.

We are not going outside the air ratio window by just 1/4 point or so. In most cases I would bet we are pushing it a good Full point during cruise and 2 points during WOT.

Bounce some of these numbers around in your head and tell me what you think about how long a cat would last running 13.5 at cruise or 13.2 at idle.

Just a wild guess because I have no facts to back it up. I bet a new cat would not last 10 thousand miles on MY bike. Probably even less than that.
(I am open loop 100% of the time)

My suggestion is to replace the pipe with the cat with one that has been gutted or never included a cat. Put your cat pipe up so you can replace it if you choose to sell the bike some time in the future.

Go with the Stage 1 with your choice of freer flowing slip-ons and air cleaner. Save all your stock stuff for the reason stated above. For added fuel, look in to the new generation Dobeck Performance options up to and including their closed-loop system.

Once that is done and finances permit, add an oil cooler. I personally like the Jagg stuff, but lots of folks here like the HD option.

TQ

Thanks Hoople for the explanation.

This is good food for thought. I had not considered the effect that a TFI enrichened mixture would have on the cat.

Ron

I think I'm just gonna stay stock and run Mobil One V-Twin 20w-50 synthetic. I just had a bad experience with a stage one on my Road King, so I'm a little leery to do one again when my bike is running great. Maybe it was just the weight of the Road King, but my stock Super Glide feels like it would run circles around that stage one Road King.

Back