free website stats program Stage One, Or Oil Cooler? | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage One, Or Oil Cooler?

hd4evr

Banned
The last two bikes I've owned, a 2007 FXD, and a 2007 Road King Classic, I had the Stage One done on. I had the SE air filter, PCIII, and Rinehart slipons. This set-up was "OK" on the FXD, but it was terrible on the Road King. The Road King spit, sputtered, backfired, and felt much SLOWER than stock. I had it back at the dealer more than I was riding it. I was not very happy with it. Anyway, the only reason I did the Stage One to begin with was to help the bike run cooler. So, I just bought a new 2011 FXDC and love the way it's running bone stock. My question is, will installing an oil cooler be just as beneficial as a Stage One in cooling the engine temps down? I'd really like to just leave this bike alone other than helping it run cooler.

IMO you'll get more benefit from the stage-1. Changing to synth oil will help motor a bit & adding air will open the motor so you're not running lean. Next would be getting the CAT out of headpipe, but that's a whole other can-o-worms. Enjoy that new scoot!

I have no experience with cat removal but sounds like the PC was not setup properly on your 07 RK. Maybe you might want to try the newer PCV or a different tuner altogether like Doebeck or TTS etc.

I kinda favor buying a tuner from a shop that specialized in that tuner so if any problems come up they can adjust the tuner for you.

My question is, will installing an oil cooler be just as beneficial as a Stage One in cooling the engine temps down?

No it won't..
An oil cooler helps sink or get rid of crankcase heat by pushing it into the surrounding air but it does nothing to reduce the source of the heat which is the combustion temps caused by a lean mixture.

Also remember if you enrich the mixture on a Cat engine, you will overheat and destroy the cat in no time.

You can...stock = "0" cost & will run fine, but hot. Adding tuner/stage-1 would allow you to adjust air/fuel settings to shed some heat which is overall better for motor. Shedding the CAT (cut out, swap header, or changing exhaust) helps even more. Personally I chose to get '09 so I didn't have to worry about CAT & added TFI during 1st winter break so I caould adjust for future upgrades. I like to "tinker" so stock never works for my taste, but you probably have different plans and sticking w/stock bike works for you. To each their own...I say.

Well, what about just doing nothing and riding it stock the way it came?

Sure. Lots of people do it. I don't believe for a second everyone who buys a late model bike will modify it,,, or will even HAVE to modify it.

I am in the minority here but I have done nothing to my bike and an totally satisfied with it bone stock. Now if I was carrying the extra weight of two up riding and gear, I might see it different.

I don't think the oil cooler will lower the heat you feel but it will certainly extend the life of the engine. Of course that extra life might not be apparent until 100k so you may never see it. I don't have one but think about it from time to time.

I wouldn't call myself a tree hugger but I am concerned about the environment so to me doing my small part by staying stock is a good thing.

The factory stage 1 and download falls within EPA guidelines so if it helps the bike run better and cooler, then why not do it. I never felt the need for the extra power but to each his own.

If you are happy with the way it runs stock, then leave it alone. If you have issues, then figure out the best way to deal with them. There are lots of folks on this forum who have made changes and will be happy to give you advice.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

I am in the minority here but I have done nothing to my bike and an totally satisfied with it bone stock.

But based on your avatar, are we comparing a 2007 to a 2011?
When I look at the SE stage 1 maps, I see the engines get leaner and leaner as each new year rolls in. Four years is a huge difference.

There was a thread a few months back about this same topic and someone said "I have a stock bike and it runs GREAT". I look (and asked) and this guy owned a pre O2 sensor Dyna. My reply was, "I bet it does" :)

Stock is fine. Just like mine. The heat is tuff to beat. So just don't put your feet down. Stay in the wind and let nature do its thing.......:rider :s

Back