free website stats program stage one back to OEM exhausts | Harley Davidson Forums

stage one back to OEM exhausts

Billbo

Just a question for the gang here. 2001 Heritage - IF you have the stage one done - exhausts and air filter,,,, can you safely go back to OEM exhausts without doing anything else. Just asking -- I think I am now wanting something a little bit quieter.

Not sure what I have now - but they are staggered straights (I believe) about 2.25" in diameter and slash cut down - they go back to the rear axle and the top is about 2-3" longer than the bottom one. I can stick a broom handle all the way in to the bend going up to the engine - nothing inside. I can feel inside the air cleaner from the backside (someone here said IF you could, it was not the original air filter) - plus the HD man that delivered the bike told me it appears to have had the stage one done. At any rate, the bike runs very fine, just a little on the loud side. After riding awhile, it begins to sound like a Japanese cruizer with the same exhaust pipes. (know what I mean?)

Thanks for your input
Bill

You can change back any time you like you already have more fuel and the extra air wont hurt a thing, Good luck with your project:s

You could probably go to almost any other pipe, sounds like you are running straight pipes so anything you put on will be a bit more restrictive but quieter. Like Sarge said, you may be a little rich but probably not an issue.

thanks to all for replys. hummmmmmm I wonder if I can just buy and install baffles into the existing straight pipes???

bill

Most any muffled pipe you put on will give you better performance than Drag Pipes. You will notice improved torque.

thanks to all for replys. hummmmmmm I wonder if I can just buy and install baffles into the existing straight pipes???

bill

This will likely be your most economical option unless you have a set of slip-ons laying around, or can pick up some used ones cheap somewhere.

TQ

Probably a more economical way to go, as baffles go for $15 a pair on up, I got mine from Drag Specialties, but there are many other makers. Given the fact that your broom handle test seems to indicate you are running straight pipes you can easily fit them.

Measure the inside diameter of the pipes about 4-6" in and get baffles that are a close fit. Locate where you wll drill in the pipes in an obscure location and use stainless fasteners with lockwashers, making sure the wrenche(s) you use can get in there to tighten the works down so it does not rattle loose (I used shim stock to make sure the baffle slid in snug. The length and number of holes on the baffle determine how much quieter the sound will be...and they add a slight bit of back pressure improving your performance a bit as well. :)

Most any muffled pipe you put on will give you better performance than Drag Pipes. You will notice improved torque.
Thanks Blademan

This will likely be your most economical option unless you have a set of slip-ons laying around, or can pick up some used ones cheap somewhere.
TQ
Thanks TQ
Probably a more economical way to go, as baffles go for $15 a pair on up, I got mine from Drag Specialties, but there are many other makers. Given the fact that your broom handle test seems to indicate you are running straight pipes you can easily fit them.

Measure the inside diameter of the pipes about 4-6" in and get baffles that are a close fit. Locate where you wll drill in the pipes in an obscure location and use stainless fasteners with lockwashers, making sure the wrenche(s) you use can get in there to tighten the works down so it does not rattle loose (I used shim stock to make sure the baffle slid in snug. The length and number of holes on the baffle determine how much quieter the sound will be...and they add a slight bit of back pressure improving your performance a bit as well. :)

Thanks TQ and NEWHD74FAN - I will try the 'baffle' route - if it works fine, if not Im not out a lot of money.

Thanks to all again for your input

Bill

look into thundermonster baffiles they make a quite baffle as well great product i own a set for my drag long shots:newsmile01:

well heck, come to find out my pipes DO have baffles. I did not think so, but, after seeing a few baffles on the internet, and looking inside again, there are baffles inside. My problem is that the OD of the baffles - same as ID of pipes, is only about 1/4" more than the ID of the baffle. IE: the baffle if out of the pipe would be about 2-1/2 inches OD and 2-1/4 inch ID - thats why I thought there was no baffle. Exactly what good is a baffle where the inside is hollow like a piece of pipe. seems to be a piece of pipe stuck inside the pipe??

Bill

Back