free website stats program stage II heat issues | Harley Davidson Forums

stage II heat issues

kmac

has anybody heard issues of heat with the 09 Electra glides after a stage II
up grade do i need to install an oil cooler?

So long as you're not going real high compression and it is properly tuned it might even run cooler then stock. Less strain ridding two up plus a custom tune is giving it extra fuel where it's needed for cooling.

(
Sorry to polute this thread but i due to my weak english speaking skill, i don't anderstand what "... two up ..." means.
Can you explain please !? Thank you.
)

Also, oil coolers do little if anything for upper engine cooling.(ONE exception is engine with oil cooled heads)
they help reduce oil temps at the extreme end that helps oil protect the engine.
They are not a bad idea just do not get it in your mind that your going to bolt one on and have such a drop in enegine temps you will feel it. Aint going to happen

Smitty, whats your overall opinion on oil coolers? Pro & Con

Has anyone checked out "oilfiltersusa.com" ? Advertise finned, reusable filters with higher flow. can't find it this minute, but read a article in bike mag about a 9hp oil change using this type filter. Suggests no need to get oil cooler due to the fact the filter is finned and acts like a cooler by itself.

No argument on the importance of the oil as it's the engine's life blood. Not reccomending you understand, just throwing it out as it "reads" great. After 13 yrs behind the counter of dealership svc. depts. I'm all in for proper maintenance. Shame on he/she who ignores it. The article came with a dyno sheet to "verify" the 9hp claim but no stats on longterm.

Last edited:
Not required for most riders but a very good idea. At couple hunderd bucks for the complete HD one easy to install. Cheap insurance and peace of mind, one of the few mods that adds resale to a ride.

I agree, except I feel that all TC engines should be equipped with a cooler. In my experience they do make a big difference in the heat emitted and in reducing oil-temps. BTW, if oil temps are lower in the pan they are also lower in the head, which reduces head temps to some degree. I installed mine in the first winter before experiencing any heat problems, but my '07 SG runs 200° while moving in summer, 180° with ambient temps of 60°, and has never exceeded 230° even in hot-summer traffic. I also routinely run a lean PCV map (14.6 in the cruise range) for better mileage, but also have a map switch to toggle into a richer map when extra cooling is needed. I need to do this maybe a few times per year, so I don't have any heat problems here. The bike also only rarely goes into EITMS (heat-mgt.) mode in traffic, maybe a few times per year, so I know my front-head temp stays <290° the vast majority of the time.

Back