Stage I Air Cleaner Backplate

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Dr. Dolittle, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit (P/N 29260-08) looks like it comes with everything you need. But then I found P/N 29624-08, the SE Chrome Backplate. When you switch to the SE air cleaner, is the backplate more visible? Can't think of any other reason to shell out $50 for a chrome backplate.

Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit - Twin Cam Models | Harley-Davidson USA

Screamin' Eagle Air Cleaner Backplate Kit | Harley-Davidson USA

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

That got me wondering, so I had to go look at my SE set up. I have my football cover on it. The only thing that is really noticeable is the rear mounting ear that bolts to the head. I had never noticed it until now, not worth the $$ for such a small thing IMO. I do like the SE air filter.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Besides the chrome plating is more like silver paint. I took a look at one and decided not to get it after all. It really doesn't show except for the mounting bosses.

4. doc_63

doc_63 Active Member

I just put mine on last week. Rather than spending an additional 50 bucks for chrome, I purchased a can of Krylon "High Heat" flat black paint (used for bbq's and such) and painted it before installation. It now matches the motor perfectly. Just an idea that worked well for me.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Who is going to see the chrome @ 70 mph any way?:s