free website stats program Stage 2 done, More fuel? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 2 done, More fuel?

Not trying to give you a hard time but why wouldn't a performance cam increase the engines volumetric efficiency at cruise speeds also? Your saying the cams will increase the engines ability to be an air pump only at wide open throttle, and that is not true.

But none the less, it sounds like you have a good plan in place. I am sure everything will go as planned but when in doubt, go a little extra rich than lean. Yes, you will use a little more fuel and you MPG will drop but the engine will be happier. It takes a lot to be toooo toooo Rich....:p

Hoople is right here, always better to be a tad rich than lean, may save you from burning up an expensive engine

I did some riding and made TFI adjustments. I had to have less fuel in the idle-steady cruise mode. I started with a no.5 setting and it ran bad, I could tell it had too much fuel. I went back to the stage 1 setting of (4) and it hardly made any difference. I went down to (3) and it ran better but was still sputtering a bit at low RPM cruise. I have it set at (2) now and it runs smooth at idle and low RPM. I think that the bigger cam is giving me lower vacuum at idle and steady throttle. This would make the MAP sensor voltage change causing the ECM to add more fuel. This is the only thing I can think of that would make it run too rich like it did. I added more fuel to the acceleration mode-2 and the full throttle mode-3. I lowered the mode-5 setting for when the acceleration mode engages.
The power is about the same until you get over 2500 RPM. At 3000 RPM it came on so hard and fast I hit the rev. limiter for the first time and I wasn't ready to shift. The exhast note is definetly louder at all times. The idle is a little lopey but its still smooth and sounds good. I like the power and sound the cams gave me.
TFI settings are, mode-1 (2) mode-2 (4) mode-3 (4) mode-4 (2) mode-5 (3) mode-6 (4.5)
The air temps are cool here and I may have to make adjustments when the temps higher.

At 3000 RPM it came on so hard and fast I hit the rev. limiter for the first time and I wasn't ready to shift. .

I bet that made all the work, money and testing worth it.

In the beginning I thought I would never need or do any internal engine performance work. After reading your results, I am starting to think differently.

Oh no.. not more money!:p

I installed the cams myself. This kept the cost down to around $400.00.
Cams, push-rods and gaskets. Since I already had a stage 1, the investment to get to a stage 2 was not that bad. :)

Will Techlusion not recommend proper settings for your Stage 2 set-up?

Unless someone here has tested accurately on a Dyno your exact set-up.

I have a Cobra FI2000R and it came with recommended settings for my bike with Stage 1 and Stage 2.

Will Techlusion not recommend proper settings for your Stage 2 set-up?

Unless someone here has tested accurately on a Dyno your exact set-up.

I have a Cobra FI2000R and it came with recommended settings for my bike with Stage 1 and Stage 2.

I e-mailed dobeck with all the specifics and they told me that they did not have any exact settings. They said there are too many combinations and they are unable to test all of them. I have not called them and I might do that yet.

Back