free website stats program stage 1 | Harley Davidson Forums

stage 1

ngjandm

Starting this post, because I know that at some point I will have questions and/or problems, and everyone here helped me get through my stage 1 upgrade on my 2006 Sporty a couple years back, including adding V+H straight shot slip-on, SE intake, and rejetting the carb. I have since sold the sporty, though I do miss it.

For my 2010 FXDF, this weekend, installed a PCV with the stock map. Not real hard work, except for what I had read about all around, the tight space under the seat for all the cabling, etc, as well having to look around to see what to do with the O2 sensors which wind up connecting to nothing with the eliminators. From what I perceive, it now seems to run a lot smoother than before especially when the selected gear is higher than it should be for a particular speed. (if that makes any sense)

Anyway, waiting for the V+H black big shots staggered to arrive, and originally was planning on the Duke Air, but might go with the SE Heavy Breather and Black teardrop cover.

I assume installation of the full pipes should be pretty straight-forward, though this will be the first time doing so.

I guess my first question would be, do I need to remove the muffler first then the head pipe or remove it as a whole?

I would remove the muffler first, there's less chance of doing damage to the system and the bike than trying to remove it as a unit.

Thanks Glider. I did notice though you were slacking a little there, took you a whole 5 minutes to answer. :p

All purchases are in place, just waiting on them to arrive. I wind up getting the V&H v02 Naked, to save over all on cost, and can take the time to decide if I want a pricier breather while enjoying the upgrades.

I did purchase quiet baffles as well and based on everything I read, it's probably what I want, still not quiet, but not as loud as stock baffles.

I assume it all should be a piece of cake since doing all similar work on my sportster other than removing headpipes vs. only a slip-on.

I have a mail in to dynojet, concerning the map to use, the map for the BSS says its for a SE heavy breather, not sure if this will work directly, or might need some slight changes from map 13.

wish me luck.

ok. finally got my first pipes removed from the headers. i see the flange and the clips, but looking at it, there does not appear to be any gaskets. I doubt they could have burned off, maybe they just forgot to use them when they built the bike. I assume there should be gaskets, so i will purchase some and use them.

the bolts to the flanges weren't on real tight either. do these bolts need locktite when reinstalling?

No locktite on the flange bolts but it is easier to get them off if you use some neversieze on them.

Are you talking about the exhaust gaskets in the heads?

yes. there didn't appear to be something that resembled a gasket. nothing on the header pipe or the area by the header itself at least that my novice eyes could see.

I've seen them crushed in there where they look like part of the head. If you take a small blade screw driver you should be able to pry the old ones out. If there were no gaskets you would have had a very bad exhaust leak.

Back